• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case failing / breaking up?

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
97 with PORC SYE 231 case. Had No noticeable issues until today, vibes at higher speed. So i pulled into a parking lot... and it slows as the speed slows. Faster as I go faster. I shifted into 4 Hi and 4 Lo with NO issues.I took the front DS out... still the same.

somthing is either rubbing internally or grinding inside the case (seems to me)... any thoughts? I'm guessing its time for a new case. Possibly a new SYE????

Have you checked the rear u-joints out yet? You could always try swapping a known good driveshaft onto the rear to test it...If you feel like waiting til the end of the week we can throw my front driveshaft in place of your rear one and see if that helps.

Did you shift it into 4wd at the Pa Jeeps show today? Maybe the t-case linkage is slightly out of whack and you didn't get it fully out of 4wd. I doubt its your t-case though, you'll have to jack it up, put it in gear and crawl around and see where its coming from.

I didnt put it in 4 wheel since I was at RC last. Bandit mentioned TC CHAIN, which seems like a possibility. Its only doing it under acceleration / when I let off the pedal its quiet for the most part. I put it in Neutral while moving and nothing.

i'm SUPPOSED TO be at the PA jeep show in York... 35 minute drive... Ugh. Might be calling AAA today.

Back