• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle about to explode???

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been having this weird grinding noise lately. Started after a wheeling trip at Greenridge, and hasn't gone away. It sounds just like a pinion angle grind/vibe, but I'm only lifted 2" and have a t-case drop. I thought it was my driveshaft u-joints, so I checked those. Good as new on the rear axle. It only makes noise when I'm on the pedal, coasting it goes away. So it's gotta be something power related. I'm starting to think my rear axle is toast. The jeep has 200k+ on it, but I treat her pretty well. New diff fluid went in a couple months ago, and everything looked fine. I have jumped it a couple times, but nothing that would bend an axle tube (I hope). Any other ideas? Maybe something needs grease? I'm leaving for the beach on Friday, and it would be really sweet to get this taken care of by then.

Jumping a XJ no matter how high can bend an axle tube given the right circumstances. I'd pull the rear driveline (if you have a 96 and newer only)and put her in 4hi. See if it is still there. Do not go above 45 and no sharp cornering.If the sound is gone under acceleration then it is a rear axle pinion bearing. If it is not gone then I'd bet it could be from the t-case.

The reason you do not pull the rear driveline on anything older is the rear seal of the t-case is sealed with the driveline yoke. Not like the newer style that is sealed to the output shaft. Good luck and please post your findings to help us all later.

I know it's coming from the rear, because it only does it under load. The front axle is free to do as it pleases, unless in 4WD. So it has to be from the back end, which receives power under acceleration.

But, I will pull the shaft just to be 100% positive. I've never changed the fluid in my t-case, so it could be something in there as well. Good thing I have a spare in the garage.

I have a gut feeling that it is my axle. Hopefully the thing won't implode until AFTER the weekend...

Back