• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I search for front end noise?

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I have a popping noise up front, 94 XJ RE3.5" SF, I'm thinking it's track bar, TRE or motor mount. I have read posts that say to have someone turn the wheel while you look at the front end. Here are my questions:

1. front wheels on the ground or on jack stands?
2. What am i looking for? TRE's that show a lot of movement off center line? axle shifting from side to side...What?

I usually only get the popping noise at low speed in right hand turns, some times when turning left but not as often. usually at close to full right lock. It happens in both 2 and 4wd.

Front wheels on the ground. That way there is resistance to the steering linkage movement.

Any place where one part moves and the part it is hooked to doesn't. Steering box, Pittman arm, tie rod ends, track bar ends, etc. You are looking for sloppy worn out joints/bushings.

You are looking for sloppy worn out joints/bushings.

or cracked metal, like where the ps box mounts to the frame, or where the control arms mount to the axle, etc.

you should look for jerking motion, or the actual noise your looking for itself.
make sure your tracbar bracket is tight to the frame, and that it doesnt move slightly during this test. you should also ensure the axle side bracket of the tracbar doesnt have a wallowed out hole. and that everything is tight

you could also jack the front axle up and put 2 hands on each front tire one at a time, at 3 and 9 o'clock, try to wobble the wheel, thats steering play.

OR 12 and 6 oclock, do the same test for balljoints.

I think i found it, cant see any off center movement but if i grab the tie rod and twist like im throttleing a motorcycle it spins about 1/4" in either direction...THAT'S BAD RIGHT?

Back