• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you run a rear swaybar with a lift.

XJ 4-play

NAXJA Forum User
I've read all the threads concerning rear sway bars and towing. Aside from lost flexibility is there anything that would cause problems running the rear swaybar. (clearance problems or bad angles)

I ask because most people just eliminate them after the lift. But towing regularly (less than 2000#'s) in high winds I would like the extra stability.

Anyone ever work up a Rear Sway bar Disconnect.
I'm thinking that only 4 bolts for the hangers and two little bolts would allow me to remove the sway bar in around 20 minutes.
It would be nice to two my toys to the lake then play around in the hills and sand while im there.

I've read all the threads concerning rear sway bars and towing. Aside from lost flexibility is there anything that would cause problems running the rear swaybar. (clearance problems or bad angles)

I ask because most people just eliminate them after the lift. But towing regularly (less than 2000#'s) in high winds I would like the extra stability.

Anyone ever work up a Rear Sway bar Disconnect.
I'm thinking that only 4 bolts for the hangers and two little bolts would allow me to remove the sway bar in around 20 minutes.
It would be nice to two my toys to the lake then play around in the hills and sand while im there.
I am sure you could fab some extension up to work. if you feel it's necessary to leave it connected.

Yes, you can, you will need to extend then or install spacers under the Mounts. You may be better offf installing some helper springs or extra overload springs. The stock rear swaybar on the XJ is so small most don't even notice a difference when it is removed. I know I don't, even when towing.

At some point Chrysler eliminated the rear sway bar altogether. I wonder if you could use a heavy duty front sway bar?
dn
the upcountry never had a rear swaybar. my '99 sport had one
i think with stiffer leaf springs, you may not even notice having it back there for towing, my 2500 ram doesn't have one from the factory

X2 The springs you put in when lifting it (even an add-a-leaf) will make it ride stiffer than stock springs with your tiny stock swaybar. Just my oppinion. You could look into a stiffer one for your front, i know there's a company that makes one.

Jeez guys I haven't had even a front sway for 5 years...towed lots of weight and swerved to miss things while loaded....never a problem......never missed the bar. (Swaybar)

Can you run a lift with a rear sway bar? Yes. Do you need it? No. I ditched mine long ago and didn't even notice a difference. The factory tow package XJ's don't have a rear sway to begin with so you don't need it to tow!

Ditched mine on the XJ right after I got the rig and ditched the one on my KJ and towed quite often and never noticed a difference. If it matters my KJ had 3" of lift and 31's so it was lifted also.

Parakeet

Thanks for the responses all. I think I'm just going to leave it off. I'm installing 3.5" RE Superflex kit and think I'll be ok without it. I just dont want to put everything back together and regret is when a gust blows me over a smart car.

Thanks for the responses all. I think I'm just going to leave it off. I'm installing 3.5" RE Superflex kit and think I'll be ok without it. I just dont want to put everything back together and regret is when a gust blows me over a smart car.

I just dont want to put everything back together and regret is when a gust blows me over a smart car.

You say that like its a bad thing! :D You won't notice it at all.

I agree with the above. HOWEVER, if your using a sway control hitch, the rig and trailer will be more stable if you have a rear sway bar. Any roll transfer will be directly transfered to the front sway bar instead of the rear essentially twisting the entire unibody more than it would if the rear bar was in place.

With that being said though, the skinny factory rear bar won't do much at all in this case. An aftermarket bar such as the addco would be much more effective. People have to keep in mind that stiffer springs do NOT have the same effect as a properlly setup sway bar. Stiffer springs = increased load capacity. Sway bar = reduced load transfer.

Back