• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Honda d44 Retainer Plates

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, i'm wondering what the bolt pattern is on the honda/isuzu d44's. is it the same as my XJ 44? if it was this would be a great swap for disc brakes other then the metric tread brake lines correct? just haven't heard anything about it.. thanks for any info you might have!
Joe

I don't know much about the Honda axle, but an Isuzu Rodeo axle might be ok, however any rear end you decide to go with will need quite a bit of modification other than maybe the MJ D44 or the Explorer 8.8.
From 4x4wire:
"Is the Isuzu Corporate 12-bolt axle worth a look? Yes. It's strange choice, but a strong one. To give you a clue about it's strength, Isuzu fans were angered when the factory "downgraded" newer Isuzus to the Dana 44 axle! The 12-bolt in one '90 Amigo has a width of 59" from wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface. That's about and inch or so more narrow than a stock XJ, so not too bad. It's leaf sprung and has disc brakes. Very cool. According to Randii (4x4Wire.com Chief and Master of All Things Mongrel), those Amigo specs should hold for all Isuzus with [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]rear [COLOR=#009600 ! important]disc brakes[/color][/color][/color] made between 1988.5 and 1995. The later 12-bolt axles in Troopers should be wider, but I don't have numbers. The Troopers use a 4-link, coil spring setup. The downside to the Isuzu Amigo axle is the 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern. If you choose this axle, you'll want to convert either the front (a Wagoneer 44 would do it) or the rear to make the wheel bolt pattern the same."
Taken from http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/
Probably didn't help much but I tried.

honda passport = isuzu rodeo
my understanding is that they are slightly narrower, like an 8.8

there is also a tone ring on the carrier for ABS, and a hole on the top of the housing for the pickup

i was asking more if the backing plates from the honda 44(with disc brakes) would just bolt on to my jeep xj 44 as a SUPER easy disc brake swap. I'm not looking to swap axles, i guess my original post was worded poorly. I guess the problem would be finding rotors that are around the same size and 5 on 4.5, am i right?

The lug pattern is 6 on 5 1/2 I believe for a Honda/Isuzu axle. So either you'll need some adapters or just go with a different disc brake swap.

Back