• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

silicone to hold hockey pucks in?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm adding two or three pucks in the front and need to know if silicone or glue will hold them in place.I already have Rubicon Express's plastic spacer thing in there and need to add some pucks on top of that to keep the 35's out of the fenders.
I would use a bolt but don't want to drop the axle to drill......
Anyone?

i used gorrilla glue and its held up fine (single pucks in the front). ive gone through plenty of mud and the like and theyre still in there solid. just dont put too much because it expands quite a bit as it cures. i over did mine a little bit and the expanded glue caused one of the pucks to rise up and come slightly off center. puck-to-puck adhesion should also do great with the stuff. you may want to scuff up the surfaces if youre worried at all

gorilla glue should do it.. might be a real PITA if you ever wanna take them off tho.

I used 5 minute epoxy from wal-mart, worked great for me. I never had a problem with them moving around/falling out. I swapped coils out the other week and just gave them a good smack with the hammer from the side and they came right out.

The problem lies in the fact that any adhesive must remain flexible and be able to handle both cold and hot. I scuffed my hockey pucks with sand paper and used weather stripping adhesive. In the industry it is commonly called gorilla snot or yellow dog. It is very similar to the adhesive you can buy to hold automotive trim.

Not all silicons are a good adhesive as well. I found myself that using the silicon used for sealing metal gutters the best.

Hallo. To do it right, the only way is to use bolts imo.
I used stainless M6 bolts with a flat head.
The left one is an easy job, but the right, it is a pita to place the small locknut and washer. (maybe a selftapper or cut threads?)
Good luck. :rof:

'92XJ with only 2 hockey pucks each side.

Last edited:
So if you have the RE spacer in there already, what is holding it in? You didn't drill a hole and use the self-tapping bolt when you were installing the lift??

I plan on adding a puck or two under my RE spacer, but I'll just drill holes in the pucks and get a longer bolt.

So if you have the RE spacer in there already, what is holding it in? You didn't drill a hole and use the self-tapping bolt when you were installing the lift??

I plan on adding a puck or two under my RE spacer, but I'll just drill holes in the pucks and get a longer bolt.

???? The pucks are for the bumpstops:laugh:, not for a spacer.

'92 XJ

I think it was just a matter of semantics. Technically you could call it a bump stop spacer if you wanted or a bump stop extension, etc. If you need the extra extension, drilling them and using a longer self tapper through the hole already in there from the RE extension. Or if you didn't use the supplied bolts for the RE, use whatever you used to hold that down.

the best plyable adhesive i have ever found to wrok on everything is automotive goop, amazing stuff,it is like silicone on steroids... holds like super glue though...

I think I'll go this route.....

Back