• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine skid == front-end stiffener?

Never had a engine skid, but noticed the same thing going from a factory bumper to an AJs. JIM.

I do not know how much an Engine Skid would add to Structural Integrity because Most only Mount in 3 or 4 Places.

Which Engine Skid Product do you have?

Never had a engine skid, but noticed the same thing going from a factory bumper to an AJs. JIM.

x2 Only Mine is a Logons Metal Winch Bumper. It's Brackets go all the Way Past the Steering Bolts on the Front Rails.

Last edited:
was driving around today after putting on the engine skid and noticed that the front end felt a little tighter. is it all in my head or has anybody else noticed that it adds some stability

Not saying it isn't possible, but those factory skids are pretty light duty.

considering the mounting points are where the sway bars mount, I would guess he picked up a bit of rigidity from installing this skid.

the sides are long, but they also angle up towards the front where they are also attached (from what I remember seeing one years ago) near the front x-member.

other than the engine, there nothing else between the front x-member and the firewall to prevent any flexxing, this certainly wouldn't hurt things, and I could see how it would help, even if only a small amount.

It's the stock skid

Engine_Skid_Installed_Bottom.sized.jpg

They connect to the crossmember and the front of the frame rails just behind the tow hook brackets. The bracing is weak but obviously there, maybe not so much sideways as torsional bracing that restricts the front of the jeep from twisting. I'm just curious how much tension. The steering box is right there so there's no doubt that there is going to be some stiffening, I was just surprised to feel it.

the sides are long, but they also angle up towards the front where they are also attached (from what I remember seeing one years ago) near the front x-member.

The front is held to the cross member by three small pressed in studs, and each rear mount uses one bolt.

The front is held to the cross member by three small pressed in studs, and each rear mount uses one bolt.

i just mounted mine a couple of weeks ago, but i did it with the teraflex flat-tow plate. i drilled and tapped the tow plate to accept 4 - 3/8 bolts because it sits flush on the front cross memeber

Didn't notice any stiffness increase, but the tow plate is 1/4", and goes between the tow hook brackets, so i am guessing any stiffness would have been from that.

at first glance, the factory front skid looks crappy, but the fluting and the angle iron brace in the back make it a pretty stout piece, i can't wait to give mine a test and see how it holds up

the factory x-fer case skid is another story all together.

Didn't notice any stiffness increase, but the tow plate is 1/4", and goes between the tow hook brackets, so i am guessing any stiffness would have been from that.

That is what I would think.

I'm sure it adds rigidity.

The nutserts are designed to expand when you screw in the bolt, so it should be a good strong connection.

The only factory skids I've dealt with are the WJ ones, and they are stiff because of the fluting. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to support the vehicle

that will tighten up the front end a bit for sure. Better motor mounts, a real front bumper, steering box brace, tracbar brace....etc. will do even more.

i just mounted mine a couple of weeks ago, but i did it with the teraflex flat-tow plate.

I think that the extra stiffness felt would be from the tow plate and not the skidplate. I do not have a front skid plate, but noticed less front end flex after installing a DrawTite front hitch receiver; did not feel any stiffness increase with the steering box brace or Olympic Rock bumper

Just put on a Rusty's eng/tranny skid and RE adj trac bar and brace and my jeep feels considerably tighter. I like it and after the alignment it feels like it's new.

i just mounted mine a couple of weeks ago, but i did it with the teraflex flat-tow plate. i drilled and tapped the tow plate to accept 4 - 3/8 bolts because it sits flush on the front cross memeber

at first glance, the factory front skid looks crappy, but the fluting and the angle iron brace in the back make it a pretty stout piece, i can't wait to give mine a test and see how it holds up

the factory x-fer case skid is another story all together.

Where do you get this Teraflex flat-tow plate? I was thinking that something to tie the two brackets together rigidly would be a good thing. The Detours Backbone does that, but also a lot more, and is more expensive than simple crossbar would be

Back