• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ranger 8.8?

Ryan93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I know everyone uses the Exploder 8.8 but why not a Ranger 8.8? reason I ask is I might have found a good deal on a Ranger 8.8 just wondering why nobody seems to use Ranger rear ends...

28 spline shafts as opposed to 31
drums stead of discs

lower spline count. the v8 from the explorer and mountaineer is 31 spline. i don't recall what the ranger one is. i have read that some rangers (w fx4 package maybe?) did have the 31 spline and disks though

crap, beat by seconds

ah ok well the guy is selling a ranger 8.8 with a posi in it new shafts and seals.. should I go for it? $250

mostly because of the 27 spline count and drums. i swapped in a ranger 8.8 into a ranger i used to have and it was stout, never gave me any problems at all. explore 8.8s are sold for that kind of money but if it has the ratio you want i'd go for it just to make it easy, ring and pinion's ain't cheap!

yea i hear that, I emailed him asking what ratio it was, if its what I need I think ill just go for it, I got a 27spl 8.25 now stock gears

It is too Narrow for a XJ. IMHO

And, Rangers also came with a Ford 7.5

Ford 8.8

Ranger 4.0 1990-1992
Width is 51"s

Width is same as other pre-93 axles, 28 spline
3.08 (4x2), 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 (4x4) factory ratios
Either limited slip or open differential
10" drum brakes

Ranger 4.0 1993+

Width is same as other 93+ axles (1.5" wider than pre 93), 28 spline
Ratios and differential options as noted above

Ranger FX4 2002+

Width is same as other 93+ axles, 31 spline
4.10's and Torsen limited slip from factory

Explorer
Navajo
1990-1994

Width is 1.5" wider than 93+ Ranger, 3" wider than pre-93, 31 spline
Spring perches must be fabricated and welded on top
Stock spring perches can be used to lower the truck (like a flip kit)
Shock mounts must be fabricated and welded on
Very common to find ltd. Slip, usually 3.73 or 4.10 (4x4) gears

Explorer
Mountaineer
1995-2001

Same as above, also has rear discs

What I am saying is Better to go with a '96+ Ford Explorer V8 - 8.8 - 4.10 - 31 Spline with Limited Slip and Disk Brakes. Save yourself a lot of Money from Upgrading a Lesser Assembly. They can be had for as Little as $220 and as High as $800 Depending on your Location and Availability.

Check Out this Site: http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Just got an e-mail back from him ratio is 3.73.. so im kinda over it now, but thanks for all the info guys! going to be keeping an eye out for a exploder one

What I am saying is Better to go with a '96+ Ford Explorer V8 - 8.8 - 4.10 - 31 Spline with Limited Slip and Disk Brakes. Save yourself a lot of Money from Upgrading a Lesser Assembly. They can be had for as Little as $220 and as High as $800 Depending on your Location and Availability.

Check Out this Site: http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Hope this helps.

NO, you're wrong. The exploder 8.8 from 91-(whenever they went to independent rears) were ALL 31 spline. V8 or V6 it doesn't matter. The 96+ are sought after as they have disc brakes. Also, save yourself the hassle of buying one with a limited slip because they're JUNK and you can't swap a lunchbox type locker into it unless you get a new carrier. Just get the open version and grab the locker of your choice. Oh, and don't get the stRanger FX4 one or whatever because even exploder one is a bit narrow and thats narrower yet.

NO, you're wrong. The exploder 8.8 from 91-(whenever they went to independent rears) were ALL 31 spline. V8 or V6 it doesn't matter. The 96+ are sought after as they have disc brakes. Also, save yourself the hassle of buying one with a limited slip because they're JUNK and you can't swap a lunchbox type locker into it unless you get a new carrier. Just get the open version and grab the locker of your choice. Oh, and don't get the stRanger FX4 one or whatever because even exploder one is a bit narrow and thats narrower yet.

Who Posted anything about '91 to '95 Explorers not having 31 Spline Axles?

The Yoke on a V8 8.8 is Larger than the one on a V6 8.8

I had Recommended the '96+ Because of the Disk Brakes. That's why Jeepers Prefer them.

Also, I Believe the '95 Explorers also had Disk Brakes too. It's a Transitional Year and like my '96 XJ where some Parts are '95 and Earlier and some Parts are '97+, Transitional Year Vehicles are a Mixmatch at Best. IMHO

Last edited:
It is too Narrow for a XJ. IMHO

And, Rangers also came with a Ford 7.5

Ford 8.8

Ranger 4.0 1990-1992
Width is 51"s

Ranger 8.8's are not 51" wide, just to set the record straight.

An explorer rear is 58.75". The ranger is about 2" narrower.

I Guess it would all Depend on where you Measure To and From.

Oops. I Forgot to give the Citation to my Posts Above.

Here it is, Read it and Make an Educated Decision for yourself. I would think that this Site would be the Expert when it comes to Ranger or Explorer Axle Assemblies.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

There is no difference between 7.5 & 8.8 axle shaft lengths provided you stay in the same year window.

axlemeasurements.jpg

Last edited:
No. I hope you are not Still Thinking about this Ranger Swap. Do a Forum Search and see what there is on it. Try Ranger 8.8 or Ranger 8.8 Swap or Ranger 8.8 Install I am Sure you will Find nothing because Jeepers Usually Use the Ford Type Rear End I Suggested or a Ford 9" if not a Dana 44 out of an Late '80 XJ or Maybe a Rubicon Dana 44. Maybe not a 8.8 4.10 or Limited Slip, however, a Ford Explorer V8 8.8 just the same when Doing a Ford 8.8 Swap. IMHO

7and8.JPG

Last edited:
No. I hope you are not Still Thinking about this Ranger Swap. Do a Forum Search and see what there is on it. Try Ranger 8.8 or Ranger 8.8 Swap or Ranger 8.8 Install I am Sure you will Find nothing because Jeepers Usually Use the Type Rear End I Suggested. Maybe not a 4.10 or Limited Slip, however, a Ford Explorer V8 8.8

why the V8 specifically you keep mentioning?

you say the yoke is bigger? but my 8.8 pinion has a flange on it? thought they all did?

Who Posted anything about '91 to '95 Explorers not having 31 Spline Axles?

The Yoke on a V8 8.8 is Larger than the one on a V6 8.8

I had Recommended the '96+ Because of the Disk Brakes. That's why Jeepers Prefer them.

Also, I Believe the '95 Explorers also had Disk Brakes too. It's a Transitional Year and like my '96 XJ where some Parts are '95 and Earlier and some Parts are '97+, Transitional Year Vehicles are a Mixmatch at Best. IMHO

In which way is it larger? This is an 8.8 fact i'm unaware of. Mine is out of a V6 and takes the same U-Joint as the V8 model. Or do you mean the round flat part is bigger?

why the V8 specifically you keep mentioning?

you say the yoke is bigger? but my 8.8 pinion has a flange on it? thought they all did?

Sorry, in my Haste to Post I Wrote Yoke..... I Meant to Write Flange

When I went to the J Yard. I Inquired about the '95+ Ford Explorer 8.8.. the Guy said that Some '95s came with Drums and Others with Disk Brakes. That is Why I say '96+. Also he Insisted to know Which I Needed a V6 or V8 Assembly. I said, "They're the same, right?" He said No and Showed me Both. The V6 8.8 had a Smaller Flange than the V8. The V6 8.8's Flange was about 4"s and the V8's 5"s. He said the V8 was Stronger in his Opinion. Needless to say, I did not get Either as he was way too High Priced. $400 for the V6 8.8 and $450 for the V8 8.8.

Elsewhere, the V8 8.8 can be had for $100 Cheaper.

Ranger 8.8's are not 51" wide, just to set the record straight.

An explorer rear is 58.75". The ranger is about 2" narrower.

I gave a Measure that was Different than CRASH's. I believe we are Both Correct as it would all Depend on where you Measure To and From. From End to End of the Tubes the Ranger's Rear Assembly is 51"s, however, Width between Wheel Mounting Surfaces is 56.5"s.

Here is a Comparison on the Dana 35, Ford 7.5 (Ranger), and Ford 8.8 (Explorer) I think will help.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

Back