• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission not happy.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Today I did the clutch in my 92 5 speed XJ. Drove it all day no problem, later that night it started getting hard to shift, so I crawled under to take a gander and then entire transmission crossmember is covered in gear oil. All of the transmission mount and everything.

Anyone know where it could be leaking from?

If you're sure you put the fill plug back in, and it's gear oil and not hydraulic fluid, might be leaking from what's called the rear adapter seal http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product6067.html in between the tranny and transfer case. Happens sometimes if the tranny is overfull, but if you have a lot of gear oil dripping off the trans mount, then it's probably a blown seal.

When you replaced the internal slave cylinder/throwout bearing, did you leave the transfer case and trans as one unit, or take them apart?

We never took them apart, we never even drained the tranny...

Yes it is gear oil and not brake fluid that is leaking.

I just remembered that I had never put the vent tube back ont othe transmission. Could this possibly be where it's leaking out of?

Back