• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch

AnarchyJet

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between a pre-97 and the 97-01 NSS. I have a 98 that is going to need a new one. I know they can be cleaned but the SOB won't come off the shaft. So it looks like I'm going to have to bust if off. The problem is they are expensive and ebay has plenty of pre-97 ones for around $50. So what is it going to take to make an older one work with the 98 trans, so i can save a $100.

Thanks,
-AJ-

i know this isnt addressing your main question, but did you remove both nuts? try wedging and carefully leveraging the sides with two flathead screwdrivers. try them in different places and slowly work it off. mine was a pain in the arse too and thought i might just have to bust it. but after taking a breather and going steady with it i was able to get it off unharmed.

this jp magazine article doesnt mention the NSS varying for the different years
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Last edited:
I believe it's the wiring connector that is the main difference.

Try this:

1) Let it soak at the collet (the part around the shift shaft) with frequent doses of PB Blaster for a couple of days.

2) Make sure you remove both the collet nut and the adjusting screw up top.

3) Get two bits of flat bar stock - 1/8" or so inch thick, about 1" wide, and about a foot long (you can probably find these at the hardware store.) Slip them in between the NSS body and the transmission case, one to each side of the shift shaft.

4) Gently and alternately prise back and forth using the bar stock - the net effect will be to "wiggle" the switch loose. Eventually, you will get it to the point where you can hook your fingers behind it - it's yours at that point.

On reassembly:

1) Clean the shift shaft with a wire brush, especially down by the transmission case (be careful to not damage the shift shaft seal - it's a bear to replace.)

2) Paint the shift shaft with never-seez, especially near the transmission case.

3) Make sure the inside of the collet on the NSS is clean, then slip it into place.

Torque the collet nut to 62 pound-inches (about five pound-feet) and the adjuster screw to 14-15 pound-feet. No more! Make sure it's properly adjusted before you tighten the adjuster screw (have a helper watch the reverse lights. Make sure you're shifted into Reverse - the engine need not be running. Turn the switch until the reverse lamps come ON - mark that spot in some convenient manner. Continue until they turn OFF again - mark that spot. Position the switch midway in between the two marks. Verify proper adjustment by attempting to start in both Park and Neutral - it should work in both positions.)

If you manage to break the thing, let me know. I may want to get it from you...

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I have been soaking it with PB Blaster and prying pretty hard on it. 230k miles in Wisconsin has fused the 2 together permenantly. Looks like I'll have to find a 97+ switch since I use 3rd when towing.

Don't break it yet. While gently prying on the back of the NSS, have someone tap on the shaft with a drift.

My NSS (on my 97) was stuck just like yours. This tapping method worked wonders.

I have a 98 xj, will cleaning it work also? The check engine light came on about a year ago and it was the NSS. About a month age it wouldn't shift into OD. Is all this from the NSS? Appreciate any feedback.

Back