• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searched - can anyone confirm that this is the right wheel/tire combo for stock?

supark

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on getting a set of chrome cragar soft 8 wheels for my XJ. It's completely stock with no lift and want to make sure everything fits before I place my order. This car will never hit trails, so I best case I'd like a tire that is low noise, wears decently (but understand if I want good wet weather street traction will have to give up a little tire life), and has an aggressive enough looking tread that the cragars won't look ludicrously out of place.

Soft 8 398 Series Wheel
Size: 15'' x 7''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Back Spacing: 4''

and a 235/75-15 tire. Most likely a BF Goodrich AT, Firestone or Cooper STT. How does that sound?

Oh shoot, the search button must have temporarily malfunctioned again.

Hm, it's fixed. Here ya go!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=3152957

If you look at the results, you'll see nothing answering my question - especially whether that wheel size will work on a stock XJ - of course an aggressive backspacing will fit on a lifted jeep, but I am mainly concerned as from what I understand the 4" backspacing that's available for these wheels may rub against the fender flare, again on a stock jeep. Hence why I started this thread

anyone else care to confirm? I've also posted this on jeepforum.com and am getting conflicting advice. From what they're saying there, the 4" backspacing will not work on a stock jeep but will with a lift.

I ran AR767s for years at stock height. 4" of backspacing will cause no problems, especially if your rig will never hit the trails.

I've found that this thread helps with issues concerning backspacing.

Well, you are doing right with the 15x7, and going with the 4" you are moving the edge of the rim out by 1.25" over stock.

You could use 225x75/15 and that would put back .40".

Also, while Twiggy and her boyfriend Anorxia (he is French) probably wouldn't have to worry so much, you should consider how much of a load you might carry--like four adults and cargo.

Well, you are doing right with the 15x7, and going with the 4" you are moving the edge of the rim out by 1.25" over stock.

You could use 225x75/15 and that would put back .40".

Also, while Twiggy and her boyfriend Anorxia (he is French) probably wouldn't have to worry so much, you should consider how much of a load you might carry--like four adults and cargo.

It's cool I don't have any friends :laugh3: so no worries there. So to be safe, you'd recommend sticking with stock tire size with that 4" backspacing? Looks like 4.5" backspacing will work fine, so with a 4" backspacing and stock tire width I'd imagine that it would work?

I think you would be OK.

Have the tire shop mount up a couple for you and see how you like them, that would be the tell-all.

with how well you listen, i wonder why

wow - thanks, awesome attitude - that's really called for. I ask a question that is not clearly answered via a search and after looking through tire and wheel threads here, jeepforum and jeepsunlimited and I get flamed by people like you. I'm glad there are forum members here like joe_peters that make up for the useless ones like you

wow - thanks, awesome attitude - that's really called for. I ask a question that is not clearly answered via a search and after looking through tire and wheel threads here, jeepforum and jeepsunlimited and I get flamed by people like you. I'm glad there are forum members here like joe_peters that make up for the useless ones like you

Sorry about them, they are not the majority in NAXJA.

You will, of course, run into those that are rude, and some that are just A**holes.

Don't let it put you off. Welcome to NAXJA.

You can't be serious. Anyone who starts a thread by saying they've searched and not found the information they were seeking, either -1. didn't bother to search at all, or -2. never learned how to search properly in the first place.

I'll be the first to admit that my sarcasm in the first response may have been in bad taste. That said, the OP asked one question that was not only answered promptly, but was immediately preceded, as well as followed by, older posts in which detailed matters of backspacing, stock setups, and aesthetics were discussed. Only after the question had been answered 4 times, was the issue resolved.

At this point, stewie's comment was more than warranted, and supark should feel lucky that this is all the more he was 'flamed.'

That is all.

:soapbox:

You can't be serious. Anyone who starts a thread by saying they've searched and not found the information they were seeking, either -1. didn't bother to search at all, or -2. never learned how to search properly in the first place.
etc etc

Sure guy, whatever you say. Like I said, glad there are other forum members that actually contribute something to threads

Planning on getting a set of chrome cragar soft 8 wheels for my XJ. It's completely stock with no lift and want to make sure everything fits before I place my order. This car will never hit trails, so I best case I'd like a tire that is low noise, wears decently (but understand if I want good wet weather street traction will have to give up a little tire life), and has an aggressive enough looking tread that the cragars won't look ludicrously out of place.

Soft 8 398 Series Wheel
Size: 15'' x 7''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Back Spacing: 4''

and a 235/75-15 tire. Most likely a BF Goodrich AT, Firestone or Cooper STT. How does that sound?

I can almost guarantee it will rub in the rear when stuffed. mine rubbed with 4.75" of backspacing. Either of those tires will work good. I would go with the BFG AT's if you don't plan to wheel it. Go fir it man. you'll end up lifting it anyways! :D

Sorry about them, they are not the majority in NAXJA.

You will, of course, run into those that are rude, and some that are just A**holes.

Don't let it put you off. Welcome to NAXJA.

Yeah the good majority are just giving you a hard time but its all in fun man! :peace:

Back