• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New crossmember in the making

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
I bent the stock crossmember this weekend, so it is time for a better one, and since I'm the kind of guy who enjoy fabrication as much as wheeling, here is the beginning of my new crossmember

I went to see the local metal guy, and for 35$ I got a channel, a 1/4 plate and 2 1/2 inch pieces

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

It will look a bit like this

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

And the bottom will be boxed with the 1/4 plate. I also plan to do a belly skid, that will come later, because now my crossmember is 1 1/2 inch higher to where it was, and driving the jeep for now is out of the question

To be continued...

I made a crossmember similar to that, it held up pretty good. It took a really hard hit once and didn't faze it at all.

The jeep, however, was a different story...ripped the bolts right out of the frame.

5812_571834182799_24800499_33855452_6548109_n.jpg

Might be a good idea to consider what you're mounting it to, while you're messing with it. :)

Some small progress. Now I'm thinking about not boxing it, because I'm afraid it might fill with dirt and salt in the winter and rust. Instead I'm thinking about a removable belly plate, taht could extend to the tranny up front, and to the t-case in the back. The belly could be bolted in place, and easily removable.....

Anyway, some pics

Crossmember001.jpg

Crossmember002.jpg

Crossmember005.jpg

Crossmember004.jpg

I'd at least plate some of it. Or if you're feeling ambitious, box it in completly. Around your tranny mount to the rails.

And the bottom will be boxed with the 1/4 plate. I also plan to do a belly skid, that will come later, because now my crossmember is 1 1/2 inch higher to where it was, and driving the jeep for now is out of the question

To be continued...
Id like to know where you got that from,at best you gained about an inch,more likely about a 1/2".

I think he meant where it was bent it is now that much higher....not how much clearance he gained with the new x-member

doesn't even look like the same Jeep, Vette.

Heh.

Of note...that picture was me using a set of jumper cables, two Optima batteries, and some 6011 rod to get the crossmember stuck up there again. Drove it home from wheeling 180 miles and DD'd it for another 2 months (with another wheeling trip in there) before doing something about it - which resulted in my first longarm build. Which evolved a bit further... :D

Beginning of the end, right there. :shhh:

Heh.

Of note...that picture was me using a set of jumper cables, two Optima batteries, and some 6011 rod to get the crossmember stuck up there again. Drove it home from wheeling 180 miles and DD'd it for another 2 months (with another wheeling trip in there) before doing something about it - which resulted in my first longarm build. Which evolved a bit further... :D

Beginning of the end, right there. :shhh:

There is always something that pushes us over the edge and into the dark side isnt there?

Here is the rest of it, more to come

I bent the skid with precision tools...

Crossmember2013.jpg

Crossmember2015.jpg

Then I fitted the crossmember, and I tapped some 5/16-18 bolt in the crossmember, so the skid has support in the front

Crossmember2022.jpg

And here is the skid. Still some work to do, but I'm getting there

Crossmember2025.jpg

don't take this the wrong way, but it looks like you need a little more practice with your welder. I can't really see in the picture, but it doesn't look like you ran a "C" pattern, more of a straight one way. And you either layed 2 beads on top of each other, or you weren't near hot enough. What I like to do after I've got the metal cleaned up for welding, is hit it with a torch, even a propane torch, to preheat the metal a little. You'll get much better penetration with a little 110V. Trust me, my welds didn't start looking "good" until around 10lbs of wire went through the machine.

That is the heat effected zone, not heat penetration. That just means you weakened a larger portion of the metal without getting enough penetration. You actually want to minimize the amount of heat you tranfer out while still penetrating the joint.

edit:
Sorry this was little harsh I just looked back after it was too late. The weld on the skid does look like it penetrated well but the weld appearance could be better. I am no perfect welder either so I can't say too much. Just thought I would throw a little more in there

Last edited:
No offence taken, in fact I prefer honest constructive comments. I know that those weld don't look too good, but they will be cleaned out and the whole skid will be painted.

I'm only a beginner welder. In fact this is my second project...

Glad to see you learning :) I think you might be traveling a little slow, probably due to too low of an amperage setting. You are trying to stay in one spot and get the penetration when you could get it with a faster travel at higher amperage.

good work man and keep it going it will save you tons in the long run

Back