• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size without having to lift body??

John T. Hodgen

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys/girls,
Being a Newbie I have a question on what's the biggest wheel/tire combo that I could put on my 2000 xj without having to install a lift.kit? Right now I have Kumho Road Venture AT-p235/75r15's on it right now.
Just thought taller tires would help me wheeling the powerline rightaways. Any thoughts? What's the biggest rim size I should look for?
Thanks for your help and knowledge in this matter!!!!
Til later by the fire---John T.

you're definitely going to need a body lift to fit anything bigger than stock.

That is a good size. 30" will fit, though it will possibly rub with flex. You want to keep 15" rims. 325/75R15 is generally accepted to be the largest you will fit without any problems at all. I used this size at stock height for a long time, and for a while at 3", with good results.

And don't forget to take the load into consideration.

I am 6'4" and LARGE, my lovely Wife is no twiggy either. With us in the front and the dog and camping gear we would rub 31s when at stock height. I went 4.5" front and 5.5 rear and can flex it out without rubbing, and that is just the way I like it.

Play nice - he said he was a noob!

John - you're not going to be able to lift the body on the XJ - it's a unibody, and the "frame elements" are welded to the body.

I've fit 30" tyres under a stocker (although earlier body style - I'm not sure about the later that you have) with some rub at full lock and a little loss of articulation. 30's and 31's will fit neatly under 3" of lift, and 1.5-2" of "budget boost" (blocks and coil spacers, essentially) should fit 30's with enough room for articulation - although you're still going to rub at full lock (that's not a function of lift, that's a function of wheel offset/backspacing. To fit a wider tyre without rubbing, you'll need less backspacing to set the wheel out from the body some more.

30x9.5-15 is a common enough size, and you should be able to score a decent tyre for a decent price.

Youre 235-75/15s are nominally [235m/m ~= 9.25". 9.25" * 75% ~= 6.9". 6.9"x2 + 15 = 28.8) twenty-nine inches tall, so you'd be gaining about a half-inch of under-axle clearance (recall that you'd only get half of the increase in diameter - or just the increase in radius - when you go to a larger tyre. Going from a 29" tyre to a 31", you'd net one inch of ground clearance under the axle housing.)

Fortunately, powerline easements and fire roads are fairly decent - I've done them in stockers with stock tyres without any trouble. Just pick an aggressive tread (I believe BFG makes their AT/KO in our stock size, and I've found that to be a decent all-purpose treat pattern. Air down just a touch to increase ground contact and therefore traction - 5-10#, tops. Air up before you get back on the pavement.)

The formula I used to figure tyre height for you works like this:

Tyre size is given as "tread width(m/m)/aspect ratio(%)-rim diameter(in.)"

Convert the tread width to inches (in = m/m / 25.4)
Multiply the tread width by the aspect ratio (75% = .75, in the example here.)
This gives sidewall height. Double this number (two sidewalls) and add to the rim diameter. This gives the overall nominal diameter of the tyre (you can, for most manufacturers, also look up the actual rolling diameter of the tyre - it will be slightly lower than the calculated nominal diameter, owing to the tread patch being flattened at the point of contact with the ground.) However, the calculated nominal figure is close enough for most purposes.

Light Truck tyres are still not sized using the "metric" system given above - they're technically oversized, and are sized as "nominal diameter(in) x tread width (in) - rim diameter (in). No calculations are necessary to get the nominal diameter, but if you're after accuracy you should look it up on the manufacturer's site (for instance, the BFG 31x10.5-15LT AT/KO has an actual rolling diameter of 30.8". This small difference can be important when, say, selecting a speedo gear to complement lift and gearing in addition to new tyres...)

I mentioned "backspacing" and "offset" - here they are:

Backspacing is the vertical distance between the wheel's mounting surface and the inboard bead flange. Typically, you lay a straightedge of some sort across the inboard flange, and then measure the distance between that as the wheel's mounting surface using a rule. Backspacing is always positive.

Offset is the vertical distance between the wheel's mounting surface and the theoretical centre of the wheel. Take a 15x7 wheel (15" tyre inside diameter, 7" between bead flanges.) A "zero offset" wheel would have the mounting surface exactly 3.5" from the inboard bead flange - if it's less than that, it's positive offset; more is negative (I believe. I may have those reversed - I usually think in terms of backspacing instead.)

I have a question that goes along with his. In the Aug. 09 issue of Four Wheeler they have an article on what size tires fit on what truck and what you need to fit them. They say that a 31x10.5 tire fits stock. Is this true, or just a typo?

I have a question that goes along with his. In the Aug. 09 issue of Four Wheeler they have an article on what size tires fit on what truck and what you need to fit them. They say that a 31x10.5 tire fits stock. Is this true, or just a typo?

It should fit, but you will probably lose articulation and you won't make it to full lock when steering (assuming OEM wheels.)

The wheelhouses are fairly large on the XJ, but not that big. The possible articulation loss would be because you're going to have a tyre that is two inches taller than the OEM, and I think you're running pretty close to the liner at full stuff (but I won't swear to it.)

I have run 31's on the road on my 88 (at stock height) with no trim, and I did lose some steering. But, I didn't have the opportunity to check articulation as well.

I put 31x10.5/15s on stock rims on my 1990. Riding by myself, over bump with a bit of speed, rubbing. With two adults (large), a 60 pound dog and camping gear all four rubbed REALLY BAD.

Yes, they fit.

I think that is not true, I had 30's with 2" lift. It would scrub substantialy when flexed. I'm at 3.5" lift now and run 31" tires and get no scrub.

John - you're not going to be able to lift the body on the XJ - it's a unibody, and the "frame elements" are welded to the body.

:laugh3:

My XJ rubbed (badly) with the stock tires. :wierd: Anyways.....

jeeplift1.jpg

Can't see the pic... darn it... but after my exhaustive research on this similar topic, I have found you prob could run 31's without a lift, with the right backspacking and depending on the model of tire and such, but would rub going over decent bumps, or said power line trails, and would loose your full steering motion... IF nothing else get yourself a BB from Rusty's or similar company or heck get one of the deals you can find on Fleabay fairly cheap, and then go with 31's, I should think this would give you enough to ride in comfort without rubbing day to day driving, and should help when you are off road for extra ground clearance, and giving you some flex back to your XJ with the larger tires... not as much as a larger lift obviously, but also not nearly as expensive either... this is why I have looked at the BB/31" tire setup for a bit, until I can afford bigger better tires, and a bigger better lift!!

Back