• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a question and what opinions..

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
Got my 91 4.0L 4x4, NP231 HP30/D44. Its sitting at about 5" of lift and is currently on 33's. I am wondering which you think is better. Should I get a 4:1 kit for my t-case, or gear the axles?? I definently want some lower gears, even with the 3.73's it just still isnt low enough. I just want your opinions on what you think is better. Time is an issue because the Jeep is my DD, but as long as it stays warm I have a motorcycle to ride. Let me know what you think..

i'd gear the axles first. it will help you out on the road as well as on the trail. then you can gear the t-case later if you feel it still isn't low enough

x2 gears will help out a bunch!

Being that it is your daily driver, I suggest the 4:1 kit. I find on mine (33's and 4:56's)that I get alot of driveline vibration at speed (80 MPH). The only thing is that you may start breaking ring and pinion gears or u-joints if you have a heavy gas foot offroad. If you don't need to go 80 MPH then it is a good choice to gear it, I recommend 4:56 or 4:88 for 33's.

josh...go 4.88's and 33's plus with a stick it''ll be plenty low for offroading. youll be able to take off in 3rd from a dead stop =D

Being that it is your daily driver, I suggest the 4:1 kit. I find on mine (33's and 4:56's)that I get alot of driveline vibration at speed (80 MPH).

That driveline vibration is not due to your gearing and tire size.

I will also suggest gearing the axles.

4:1 kit won't help you on the road, and that's where you are driving it mostly. I wouldn't hesitate to do gears first. 4.56 or 4.88 will make a huge difference on the road. I have 4.88 and 33's and love it... although 70/75 is about as fast as I drive.

If you are experiencing vibrations at that speeds, then your shaft is off balance (could be your front), or your angles are bad.

I have 33's and 4.56, and while I don't normally drive that fast, I have hit that speed without any vibrations. The only problem I experienced at that speed was my Jeep sucks at driving straight.

Depending on how hard you wheel, I'd get some 4.56s. If you want 4.88s, I'd say get a full-case locker for the D30 as the stock carrier WILL flex under a hard load because of the two tooth contact point.

I broke a D30 4.88 gearset before blowing a stock shaft (lockrite with full circle clips and 760s).

I have a bunch of friends running 4.56s on stock carriers and lockrites with no issues.

Sweet guys, that helped the decision a lot. I do not do serious wheeling, I dont know what you consider serious, but in my opinion I dont ever do any "serious" wheeling. I would like to go 4.88's. I was just curios what you would say about the 4:1 kit and I appreciate everyones comments, keep em comin'

Back