• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much?

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Answer if you want to, but i have become very interested in JeepSpeed lately and want to know how much TOTAL has been invested in your racing rigs.
Im trying to decide if it would be feasible to build one.

I have about $3000 in mine so far and it's far from finished. My plan was to build it over 4 - 5 years and start with a bare cab/body. I figured since I have very little money right now, I could get a body and start caging and plating it. Now my cage, shock mounts, frame plating, and sheet metal are done and it's really only been raw material cost so far. I wanted to start with a bare body and work my way up rather than tearing apart a complete stock jeep and throwing a lot of it in the trash.

RDC and Jeepspeed classifieds are your friend. I have bought a used fuel cell for $100 and a Ford 9 inch housing for $125 out of the classifieds. Deals are out there because someone is always upgrading shocks or tires and a lot of times their old parts will work great for your new car.

Like I said, I have about $3000 in my car so far and I plan to spend $3000 a year for 5 years, so my goal is to build it for $15k.

Build it cheap with used parts and go out and get seat time and have fun. Work on finishing (not winning) and you'll be nerfing before you know it.

Chris

I would put a competitive Rig at 15k. In the beginning there used to be a lot of advertising that it could be built under 10k, but that was the sportsman class with stock axles, 2.5 smooth body shocks etc.

With Today's Jeeps, currie 9 inch , king 3 inch shocks etc its a bit more pricey. I'm not saying that you couldn't build a legal rig for 11k, but i'm not sure how reliable/ competitive you would be.

I have spent way more the 15K And i know for a fact that at least two of the top guys have well over 25k invested in theirs. I think you could build a legal racer for round 15k but to be competitive now you will be in it much more.

We spent quite a bit to build the Fabtech car and it is for sale today for $15k. Keep in mind the car we built and raced at the first race is vastly different from the car that's for sale today. That's why I say build (or buy) cheap, race it, and upgrade from there.

The Fabtech car started life with 2.5 shocks, stock style steering, and stock motor. Over the years we upgraded to 3" shocks, crossover steering, beadlock wheels, updated fiberglass frontend, and a built motor. If we would have built it that way from the start, it could have cost us $30k or more.

Chris

Let's start a build spread sheet so we can see where the costs are actually at (Not Including Spares)

XJ: 2500
Front Susp: 1200
Shocks: 3":2800 2.5:1400
Rear Susp: 1000
Rear End: 2000
Cage: 1500
Fuel Cell: 700
Seats: 500
Tires:600
Misc : 2000

What are the costs of engine etc.

Answer if you want to, but i have become very interested in JeepSpeed lately and want to know how much TOTAL has been invested in your racing rigs.
Im trying to decide if it would be feasible to build one.

:doh:You are wondering if it is feasible to build a JeepSpeed rig with the terrain we have here? I guess you could run it at the dunes up around Lake Michigan. There are just not enough places to run one around here for me to justify building one. If I lived out in the desert ya damn right I would! :D

There are just not enough places to run one around here for me to justify building one. If I lived out in the desert ya damn right I would! :D

There are places :cool: ya just gotta know where to look. They arent a desert, but they work. Would I recommend building one? around here no not really or the police wont like ya cause ya have to jump railroad tracks and blaze through horse pasturs for the fun in it. But badlands do have their short course desert mix through the dunes that I think looks fun but Im not about to drive the 4 hours til next year. Even though I dont get to test mine out very often, I still have more fun in it than I do when I used to hammer down in mudholes and break stuff. And BTW I have 5k in mine at least the way it sits, 6.5k after my shocks Ive ordered arrive

Last edited:
. Even though I dont get to test mine out very often, I still have more fun in it than I do when I used to hammer down in mudholes and break stuff.

Mudholes suck but good thing for us XJ's can actually fit on a trail unlike those Big Ole Chebbies on 86's! :D

It takes you 4 hours to get to Badlands from Bedford? Ouch! I can get there in two! :D

Takes a low 3 if you avoid traffic but if you hit the roads late and get caught in the morning rush time ticks away fast

Takes a low 3 if you avoid traffic but if you hit the roads late and get caught in the morning rush time ticks away fast

Yeah traffic blows last time i went to Redbird with my buddy I had to sit in the little 500 traffic. Sorry to stray off topic guys!

Maybe i will move to the desert just to race it hahaha.
Mud holes are getting really boring around here...

Maybe in a few years when i have more cash i will build a race rig and come out and play with you guys.

For now i guess i will try and work on my stock Chero...

Build a MOARA truck. Thats how I started then they stopped racing in my hometown so I lost interest and sold my equipment I had bought up and bought the glass and stuff for the XJ. Now that Im older I would still like to build one, I go to watch them all the time but then I think again about the desert and talk myself out of it. Check them out. Might actually get them to do a XJ class if ya are interested...maoraracing.us

Build a MOARA truck. Thats how I started then they stopped racing in my hometown so I lost interest and sold my equipment I had bought up and bought the glass and stuff for the XJ. Now that Im older I would still like to build one, I go to watch them all the time but then I think again about the desert and talk myself out of it. Check them out. Might actually get them to do a XJ class if ya are interested...maoraracing.us

Hell yes i would be down for an XJ class!!!

What are their current classes? their website is horrible...

Yeah it isnt a top notch site haha very hard to navigate. They run 7E which is stock truck other than shocks and saftey pretty much, then they have 7 which is pretty well open to alot of things but must still run 4cyl, and there is a 7S that is from what I understand pretty well open to anything, all class 7 must be midsize truck 2wd. And I dont know what all buggys they run but I know there is about 4 or 5 classes of them as well

Back