• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blow by normal on a 4.0????

Jay R.

NAXJA Forum User
I was at a dealer ship today looking for a project XJ and there was oil all over half of the air filter, it also smoked at start up. I said its bolwing by the rings, he said that normal. this is an 87 cherokee chief. 4.0 I6 with 169,000 miles. i have 134,000 on my 97 ZJ no oil on the air filter no smoke. I think he's full of crap..... any opinions from the jeep gods??

i had some blow by (not 1/2 of the air filter though) in my 95 which had about 180k on the clock. a good cleaning of the ccv hoses and such realy helped with the situation.

If it smokes at start up, most states will not give it an emission sticker.

Jay R. said:
I. I said its bolwing by the rings, he said that normal.
:roflmao: Some things never change.

OK, so it's normal for a tired motor, or a crankcase that's over filled, or has an oil control problem (which is close enough to worn out). See if he'll allow you to do some diagnostics like compression and vacuum tests. If you can't make/hold good compression, you don't have much of anything to work with.

If you think it's worth buying without an engine, make an offer based on that. JMHO

he wants $1640, has blow by needs a tune up bad, and the exhaust is broken at the header...... how bout NO. but i wanted to see what other people thought of his "normal" claim. i didn't think it flew.

not only no but HELL! NO! Im going to sell my 89 laredo for 850$ it has 235k and still runs like a champ no smoke, or oil in filter. Maybe in Tennessee prices change, but 's there's is know way Id pay that much.

Also think the oil blow by might just be clogged CCV lines, an easy fix for under $50. It isn't normal and should be corrected, but that's still too much for an '89 with an exhaust leak.

yeah, I have no intention of picking it up at that price. oh and the headliner is gone and the driver side window doesn't work and the radio is broken...... he is dreaming.

Your going to be seling an 89 Laredo? 4x4?

Jay R. said:
I think he's full of crap..... any opinions from the jeep gods??

I agree. He IS full of crap. Blowby on an old engine is caused by ring/bore wear and the only real cure is to rebuild it.
I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1640 for the Jeep unless it's otherwise in good enough condition to be a "fixer upper". If it's a rust bucket, offer $1000 and get it as a parts donor.

he seems to think its "primo" so I don't think I'll be offering anything for it.
I have a friend, his buddy has a jeep with the 2.8 V-6 I might go after, theres a few on here for about $500 that I can't get and response on. I'll find something soon enough.

Back