• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Single-stage Paint's

dakineJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for recomendations on single stage paints.I need an affordable paint/reducer/hardener combo.Any suggestions on specific brands and materials? Prices? Experience's and opinion's appreciated, Thanks.

SPI hands down. Quality is on or above par with most higher quality systems, at about half the price. Colors are very limited though.

What part(s) will you be spraying, what color, and what is your budget range?

At some point the whole truck will need to get painted,right now I am working on fenders,hood,etc.The color would be Red,I dont have a paint code,but is the Red that was common on the 80's XJ's.Something close would be fine,or mabye a Red w/a little orange.Budget is limited,hence the single stage,I just want a better paint than a rattle can. Another question,would I have any problem going over a Duplicolor primer?

YES. It will be a problem going over duplicolor primer. Don't use that stuf, it's garbage anyway. Dude, serisouly look into SPI (southerpolyurethanes.com). You can get a gallon of GOOD 2k primer for around $50. The paint looks to be about $120 a gallon, but that's still CHEAP.

If you paint over Duplicrap, you risk lifting the primer, adhesion problems, solvent pop, and bleeding.

Implant paint, is $20 for a gallon and you can roller brush it on, tough as nails, and no need for primer or clear.

O wow didnt realize i typed that..try implement hahaha

YES. It will be a problem going over duplicolor primer. Don't use that stuf, it's garbage anyway. Dude, serisouly look into SPI (southerpolyurethanes.com). You can get a gallon of GOOD 2k primer for around $50. The paint looks to be about $120 a gallon, but that's still CHEAP.

If you paint over Duplicrap, you risk lifting the primer, adhesion problems, solvent pop, and bleeding.
That was my main concern,that the solvent in a real automotive would be to hot and blister the Dupicolor.The SPI sounds good,I've heard poly recomended befofore,I'll check it out.The price is in the ballpark.
SHERMAN, someone told me once to to look at Industrial and ya, it,s cheap,what do you think about Massy blue or IH red,no John Deere though.:)

Hmmm blue might be ok as long as its dark. I wouldnt do that kind of paint in anything bright.
Heres mine the top half if implement paint and the bottom is undercoating. I dont have any upclose, but i used a roller brush and it actually looks really good
jeep.jpg

I just bought everything I needed, gallon of primer, gallon of finish, reducer, hardeners for both primer & finish, cups, strainers, etc. for $300. That was the OMNI line which is PPG's cheaper line. I bought a single stage urethane. Excellent product so far. I'm not done, but I'm very impressed with the primer. I hope to spray it out this weekend if the weather holds out.

MyXJ306.jpg

I just bought everything I needed, gallon of primer, gallon of finish, reducer, hardeners for both primer & finish, cups, strainers, etc. for $300. That was the OMNI line which is PPG's cheaper line. I bought a single stage urethane. Excellent product so far. I'm not done, but I'm very impressed with the primer. I hope to spray it out this weekend if the weather holds out.

MyXJ306.jpg
Be shure to post pics. Has anyone tried the cheapo HF gun,I've heard it's like $15.

Very nice. What color SS did you get? If I ever did a single stage it would definitely be a solid color. That way you can cut and buff any bugs or nibs in the paint. Metallics are not a forgiving, as you will smear the pearl around. I'm going to be doing OMNI basecoat (unfoturnately), but using SPI's epoxy primer as a sealer, and their universal clear which I have heard nothing but praise about.

Oh, and yes I have the HF gun. 2 acutally. They work like champs for the price. Every once and a while they suck right out of the box. Just return it and retry. Definitely and awesome gun if you are JUST starting and and learning spray patterns, atomization, etc...

I would sand that stuff off. Or better yet just get some acetone and wipe it off. Usually it's so weak it will just come off with a quick swipe.

FYI no primer is meant to be exposed to the elements for any period of time outside your window (some are 24 hours, some a week, depends on the tech sheet). They absorb water.

I've used ppg shopline single stage a few times and have always had good results. It's also pretty cheap, I think I paid $110 or so for a gallon of red and $125 for a gallon of blue metallic. Here are some pics of the last 2 I painted with the shop line...

voud1z.jpg

6f5o4p.jpg

The hood on the dakota was a metallic silver...even though it looks like primer in the picture. Oh and X2 on the dupli-color primer being terrible. Their paint shop paints are decent but the primer is horrible.

I'm likin' the Dakota,that red might be a good color for the MJ. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who had input.Good info, the main points of which have already been confirmed elsewhere, good job guys.:cheers:

Yeah never use duplicolor primer. Sand off what you put on there and use a beter quality primer.
Each primer has a separate window to base. Most is 24 to 48 Hrs. If you go past that window you simply scuff it and reshoot it.

Yup. Epoxies are generally pretty easy to shoot and forgiving. All you're aiming to do is COVER the metal. Not lay down a smooth glass coat or fill any imperfections. Just get the metal encolsed so it will be protected for corrosion. Use you're high build 2k primer for any correction or sanding. Some even go as far as thinning out a little epoxy and shooting it over the 2k after it's sanded just to further ensure there is no bleed-through. No 100% necessary though.

Wet on wet (per instructions) gives you the absolute best adhesion, but you gotta be pretty good with a paint gun to be able to get both coats laid down flawlessly.

X2

Back