• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling codes from a '98

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at buying a 98 2 door sport 5 speed 4x4 with 228k for about $1,000. It keeps throwing the Check Engine Light on and off. The current owner took it to autozone to have the code pulled, but it went off before he could get there. Do the PCM's in these store codes? Even if they don't, is there a way to pull them when the light is on without an OBDII reader? I tried the Chrysler key dance but it didn't work on this truck. Can it be read by an analog multimeter via pulses? Thanks in advance,

-Derek

my 99 stores the codes... even when the light is off, if it has been on i can see what triggered it. take it to auto store and scan it and let us know what it says.

In some cases yes, I was just wondering if there was some kind of a trick. For example, my 2002 300M Special can display the codes in the odometer simply by cycling the key 3 times. I was seeing if there was anything like that to pull codes from an XJ.

I was seeing if there was anything like that to pull codes from an XJ.

1996 and 1997 will display codes with the key trick. In 1998 the ECU/ECM/PCM was changed and a trouble code reader is required for all 1998-2001 XJ Cherokee.

Back