• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Armor for exhaust system?

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
Why is exhaust usually ignored by skid plating efforts? Since the whole pipe is rigidly joined together and to the manifold, it seems like it should be a priority-- the whole thing is a huge lever acting on those manifold bolts and more importantly the seals. Picture the force multiplication when you drag the tailpipe! Why aren't we more worried about leaks?

And what about the catalytic converter? They are very expensive, yet no skid protects them except DPG's belly pan seems to partially cover the flat one. Every skid just purposely works around them. Seems like very backward thinking to me-- skip over the vulnerable expensive part because it droops too low?? What are they afraid of? Losing clearance that we don't have anyway?

Without protection, I guess the next best thing would be flexible joints, at least at the manifold -> single pipe junction.

One reason no one armors them is because it would hold more heat closer to the body. I think the best way to do it is to keep the piping out of harms way!!

That being said, I mangled my downpipe where it crosses over from driver to passenger side, it put the whole exhaust system out of whack and cracked the header....it still works though.

My tail pipe gets crushed regularly I just pry it back open. Dunno if its worth protecting but I do agree with the Cat thing I'm sure I will be upset when it gets crushed.

it would hold more heat closer to the body.

Maybe armor with some speed holes? :)

All you need is a pick axe, if homer did it you can too! :D

I have a 1/4" plate attached to the bottom of my cat and fiberglass header wrap and a two layer cookie sheet on the top for heat shielding. I also have a piece of flexible exhaust pipe between the crossmember and the 90* bend just under the starter. I got tired of re-welding the manifold so I figured why not remove the main cause of stress on the header. I had bashed up a brand new cat on the rocks and that convinced me to take action right away.

... and a two layer cookie sheet on the top for heat shielding.

How well does that cookie sheet work?
I've heard that before, but I've also heard it would just absorb the heat and radiate it back out, so you'd end up with even more heat.

How well does that cookie sheet work?
I've heard that before, but I've also heard it would just absorb the heat and radiate it back out, so you'd end up with even more heat.

There is a metal heat shield between the gas tank and the tailpipe. A cookie sheet should be even better because it has an air pocket inside

For the muffler I welded 1x1/8 steel strap to the bottom and then rosette welded a some 3/32 plate to that. After going through a muffler every 6-9 months this one has survivied over a year.

A stainless flex joint (been posted before) between the manifold and the pipe will reduce cracking if you add another hanger. I have not done this but several have.

The CAT is the big problem. I have considered cutting out the floor, raising it and then moving the cat back and up to get it clear of harms way. No good solutions here that I know of.

John

No good solutions here that I know of.

John

What about a full belly pan that covers everything?

Yes, it would be heavy in thick 3/16 steel. If I had the tools I'd build one out of thin sheet aluminum or steel, put in a lot of dimple die cuts for rigidity, and cover the bottom with HDPE. Would also need heat shields under the exhaust pipes to prevent melting the plastic.

I switched to a glasspack a long time ago because of the smaller profile. It still gets hit by rocks, but not near as much, and when it does get hit, it has a much stronger shell. It's slightly dented, but still works without a problem. I cut my tail pipe a little shorter last time it drug on rocks. Now it never gets hit. I had to replace the cat a long time ago as well. I put in a high flow carsound cat that has a smaller profile than stock and I haven't had any problems hitting it.

Back