• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee clutch master cylinder---- brand?

62tmar

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
Need suggestions on what brand to use, I searched, but found nothing.
Last cylinder lasted less than 11 months. The seals are failing,(the fluid is now very dark) the brake fluid installed was (new, factory sealed) Prestone DOT3. I did complete a flush and bleed, when the last cylinder was installed.
Thank you,
tmar

I have had similar problems. I switched to buying only brand new, not rebuilt, MCs and only CAST IRON, no more aluminum MCs for me. Lastly I went back to DOT3, no more synthetic brake fluid for me.

I found brand new, cast iron ones at Autozone.

Ecomike, thank you for the reply.

My last replacement was cast iron. I will try forum member "Old_man" suggestion of using a Howe Racing cylinder. Their web site shows a new type, that eliminates some of the problems on regular cylinders.

Thank you again,
tmar

Well, the new Howe G3 cylinder (3/4" size) works fine. Had to make a spacer between cylinder mount points, and engine side of the firewall. The size(length) of the G3 is much shorter than the original clutch cylinder, about 2 1/2". A spacer is needed, because the fluid reservoir hits the hood seal overhang. Used the eye, and about 1 1/2" to 2" of the old push rod. Just threaded the old push rod (about 1")with the same size thread of the Howe cylinder, and used a union nut, with a locking nut. I replaced the clutch line with their 48" braided stainless steel. A couple of brake line fittings and all is good. The clutch engages and releases at the bottom of the pedal stroke, glad the garage door was up.:doh:
62tmar

Well, the new Howe G3 cylinder (3/4" size) works fine. Had to make a spacer between cylinder mount points, and engine side of the firewall. The size(length) of the G3 is much shorter than the original clutch cylinder, about 2 1/2". A spacer is needed, because the fluid reservoir hits the hood seal overhang. Used the eye, and about 1 1/2" to 2" of the old push rod. Just threaded the old push rod (about 1")with the same size thread of the Howe cylinder, and used a union nut, with a locking nut. I replaced the clutch line with their 48" braided stainless steel. A couple of brake line fittings and all is good. The clutch engages and releases at the bottom of the pedal stroke, glad the garage door was up.:doh:
62tmar

Some how I missed the word "Clutch in your OP earlier. Ignor what I said earlier as I was talking brake MCs, not tranny clucth MCs, although the rebuilds for those are probably junk too.

Back