• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Conversion

88pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '88 Comanche and I'm going to put power windows in it today. My plan is to use the switches and switch plates from the rear doors of a '96 XJ to power each window individually. At some point I read a post where someone had done a similar mod, and I though I had bookmarked it. Apparently not. I've searched through several forums this morning (hours) and I can't find it. Does anyone know a of link or post on a similar mod? Or maybe have a basic wiring diagram for this type install? Thanks.

SANY1550.jpg

RR window connector (the pins are not sequential on the connector):
Pin 1 BR Right Rear Power Window Motor Up Control
Pin 2 DB/WT Left Front Door Power Lock/Window Switch Control
Pin 3 YL Left Front Door Power Lock/Window Switch Output
Pin 4 BR/LB Right Rear Power Window Down Control
Pin 5 VT Right Rear Power Window Motor Down Control

Not quite FSM quality, but this diagram is floating around comancheclub for a home made harness. You'll have to adapt it a little for what you want to do.
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16819

With all the work it would take to make a wiring harness, why not just pull front door switches and wiring from a '91-96 two door XJ and a cross body harness out of a '91 or '92XJ? It would give you flexibility down the road to add power locks and mirrors with minimal parts and work. I've done the swap on my MJ, outside of drilling out the rivets for the window regulator (which you'll have to do anyway), it doesn't take very long because its all plug and play.

RR window connector (the pins are not sequential on the connector):
Pin 1 BR Right Rear Power Window Motor Up Control
Pin 2 DB/WT Left Front Door Power Lock/Window Switch Control
Pin 3 YL Left Front Door Power Lock/Window Switch Output
Pin 4 BR/LB Right Rear Power Window Down Control
Pin 5 VT Right Rear Power Window Motor Down Control

Not quite FSM quality, but this diagram is floating around comancheclub for a home made harness. You'll have to adapt it a little for what you want to do.
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16819

With all the work it would take to make a wiring harness, why not just pull front door switches and wiring from a '91-96 two door XJ and a cross body harness out of a '91 or '92XJ? It would give you flexibility down the road to add power locks and mirrors with minimal parts and work. I've done the swap on my MJ, outside of drilling out the rivets for the window regulator (which you'll have to do anyway), it doesn't take very long because its all plug and play.

I have a cross body harness, but all the 2 door XJ's and Comanches in the 8 salvage yard's I searched were stripped or base models. Using rear switches isn't the ideal configuration, but they'll do till I find some 2 door switches.

Thanks for the link to the diagram, that's the one I'd been searching for. I found this diagram on a hotrodders forum, it's basically the same one:

windowwire.jpg

Back