• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch rattle 94 XJ

ricesyj

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a 94 XJ and trying to get it cleaned up. The rear hatch has a terrible rattle to it. The previous owner had electrical tape around the post where the latch hooks when closed. I am pretty sure the latch inside the rear hatch is the reason I have the rattle. Is there a good way to fix this or should I just purchase a new latch. When the rear hatch is closed there is not any play.

Thanks,

Troy

ricesyj said:
Just got a 94 XJ and trying to get it cleaned up. The rear hatch has a terrible rattle to it. The previous owner had electrical tape around the post where the latch hooks when closed. I am pretty sure the latch inside the rear hatch is the reason I have the rattle. Is there a good way to fix this or should I just purchase a new latch. When the rear hatch is closed there is not any play.

Thanks,

Troy

One trick is to take the post out and turn it 180 degrees, to put the worn spot in a different location. If the latch itself is worn this won't cure it all, but might help. You should also check whether or not there is side play in the hatch. Sometimes readusting the location of the post can help prevent it from wobbling side to side. You may have to fool with the post location a few times to get it to sit snugly and still latch and unlatch easily. Make sure the hinges aren't loose or badly worn, too. It can take some sleuthing to find just where it's rattling. I finally concluded that the rattle in my 95 was a worn latch, and haven't fixed it yet.

Make sure the rattle is the actual hatch itself and not the plastic body panel that is attached to the inside of it. If some of the plastic clips are broken, that panel will rattle......

Back