• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valving Question

Ryan93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey need some advice on valving, going to be picking up some Fox 2.0 this week for the front and need some help on valving options.. I am running RE coil. Read something about 255/70 for 7100s is that a universal valving or strictly Bilstein? thanks guys.

-Ryan

Similar question-
I like to drive my rig fast but on uneven bumps it has excessive "rock" or side-to-side motion, pretty jarring...
Whats one step up in firmness from a Monroe Sensatrac? It seems like the springs are overpowering the shocks, throwing the Jeep around a bit...

I am interested in the same thing. I picked up some Fox 2.0's about 2 weeks ago. I talked to Fox and he said the valving theyh come with unless otherwise stated is 60/40 I believe it was. It seems to be working well but im really no expert on shock valving, "They just feel better than my RS 5000's at speed over whoops, and don't fade!" lol

I am interested in the same thing. I picked up some Fox 2.0's about 2 weeks ago. I talked to Fox and he said the valving theyh come with unless otherwise stated is 60/40 I believe it was. It seems to be working well but im really no expert on shock valving, "They just feel better than my RS 5000's at speed over whoops, and don't fade!" lol

WTF is 60/40? Did they tell you what shims that was?

I'm running some 2.0's with remote resvoirs just like they came out of the box. They work pretty good.

They should have been valved for a certain app... So I don't think out of the box really applies.

WTF is 60/40? Did they tell you what shims that was?

Nope that is exactly what he told me. I told him what I was putting them on and he said ohh yeah I have those same ones on my XJ. He said I might want to valve them a little softer, then I told him that I will be hitting whoops and jumping it some and he said they should be perfect. IDK, like I said, im new to the prerunning shocks and stuff.

the guy at McKenzies told me the shocks came out of the box at like 60/40 I think

Then I guess your set... Damn I wish everybody would just have the same valving system. I really like the shim thickness system, it is easy to translate into general thought. I can hold and measure a .08 stack, I can't hold or measure a 60/40 or whatever.

here is some data I found about fox valving, I'm sure a call to fox would clear it all up:

55 is 1.600, 1.425, 1.300 X .010 and 1.100, .950 X .012

60 is 1.600, 1.425, X .010 and 1.300, 1.100, .950 X .012

Last edited:
Ok maybe I can help clear the waters here. I just pulled out the instructions that came with my Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks. I will copy what the valving information says in the instructions.

"3. General Valving Information
On the end of the shock shaft is a piston with (8) holes. (4) compression and (4) rebound. Layered on either side of the piston are washers in different diameters and thickness. These washers make up the shim stack. The shim stack has to flex to allow the flow of oil in either direction of the shock. When the shock compresses, this is call compression and when it extends, this is called rebound.

The shim stacks come in ranges from 30 to 110. The higher the number, the more damping force the shock will have.

When the shocks are built, we engrave the damping number on the shaft eyelet just under the rubber bottom out bumper. The first number relates to the compression shim stack, the second number to the rebound stack. If there is nothing engraved on your shock eyelet, then you have the standard 40/60 set up."

Hopefully that will help some, it gave me an idea of what the heck is going on.

That's a valving system, unique to bilstein. I've got no idea how to convert that to the standard valving.

-Dan

From http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORgd.asp?Manf=All
Understanding Bilstein Valve Ratings
Damping forces of Bilstein valvings for Off-Road are measured in Newtons at a velocity of 0.52 meters/seconds (approximately 20 inches/second). The ratings shown correspond to those measurements; rebound force is the first number, followed by compression force (rebound / compression). Conventionally, the ratings are written as one tenth the damping force in Newtons.

EXAMPLE: Valve rating: 275 / 78
Rebound force is 2750 Newtons at 0.52 m/s

Compression force is 780 Newtons at 0.52 m/s
Higher numbers mean higher (firmer) damping forces. For example, 360/80 has more control (is firmer) that 275/78, while 170/60 has less control (is softer) than 275/78.

I dunno if that helps, but hopefully...
Billy

Back