• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joints on the driveshafts front and back

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
I want to change all the u-joint on the driveshafts what will i need besides the u-joints i have all five the front shaft has 3 joints and the back has 2.
what will i need any seals and if so how many or which ones, if any? help guys i wanna do right the first time around with now mistakes thanks

You probably don't need any pinion seals, unless they are leaking. Shouldn't need anything except the joints themselves, unless you want to replace the centering yoke in the front shaft's CV assembly. That's not hard to do but I don't remember what it cost. It can be rebuilt, but I just got the whole new thingie, which appears to be an easier job.

For the rear driveshaft you'll want to clean up the splines in the slip yoke and re-grease the whole thing. Not really any money for that, just time and a little bit of grease.

For the front driveshaft you'll want to inspect the centering yoke like was already mentioned and replace it if it's damaged. You might also find the centering pin that goes into the yoke is damaged beyond repair, which would necessitate replacing the pin which requires a machine shop to do it. With luck yours will be fine.

The cost of the centering yoke was $67 at Napa (part# 211533x). The cost of a full rebuild from a driveline shop was quoted at $250. A new cheapy full drive shaft from Kragens is $220.

I was able to do a full rebuild on mine for $25 in u-joints and $67 in a centering yoke.

spicer 1310?
is these absolutely necessary? im not doing any off roading no lifts,
besides i already brought the u-joints from auto zone duralast is the brand, i brought five

spicer 1310?
is these absolutely necessary? im not doing any off roading no lifts,
besides i already brought the u-joints from auto zone duralast is the brand, i brought five

Your driveshafts were made by Spicer and used those joints from the factory. They lasted this long for you, so why not use what came in it? ;)

Yes autozone joints suck, Brute Force joints suck, spicer joints are fer teh winz. I used to use the parts store brands all the time, but I got tired of replacing them every couple months, and the whole driveshaft falling off incident was a big part of it too. Get Spicer non greasable, even if you have to go farther to get them.

Back