• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch install - nutstrip vs square washers

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Hidden Hitch with the square washers for the left framerail, but I also ordered a nutstrip before because I forgot that they included those washers. They also include washers for the right side, which would be useful if your old nutstrip is too rusted out.

I'm thinking I'll use the nutstrip, even though it requires taking off the bumper. Seems like it would distribute force more (Chrysler calls it a reinforcement bracket). It is required for installing a skid too.

BTW, I just realized that the OEM hitch uses the forwardmost bolt on the nutstrip, while the HH only uses the rear 4. So I guess OEM is the way to go for max strength and distributing force to he uniframe, if you find one in good condition.

Here are some pics comparing the two methods:
3710440974_cd4da9f417_o.jpg

3710459876_e80cd3216f_b.jpg

3710470718_589fa83239_o.gif

Last edited:
If you have the nutstrip, use it. The square washers will work, but the strip is a better solution. Be sure to coat the bolts with antisieze compound.

I just discovered that my passenger side nutstrip is too rusted to screw bolts into... I wish automakers were required by law to use only stainless steel nuts and bolts.

I just discovered that my passenger side nutstrip is too rusted to screw bolts into... I wish automakers were required by law to use only stainless steel nuts and bolts.

IIRC, nutstraps are like $20 a pop from the stealership. *IF* it were me, I would have started with 2 new ones.

I tried to order a passenger side one from moparpartsexpress.com, but they didn't have any. They are probably pretty hard to find now, 8 years after the last XJ was made. Chryslerpartsdirect.com lists them but who knows if they actually have any.

Last edited:
I tried to order a passenger side one from moparpartsexpress.com, but they didn't have any. They are probably pretty hard to find now, 8 years after the last XJ was made. Chryslerpartsdirect.com lists them but who knows if they actually have any.

Have you actually tried a dealership? I'd give one a call on Monday and see if they can get it. I'm pretty sure a guy on another forum I know just ordered 2 new ones.

I'll probably just order one this weekend if I need it, and install the hitch next weekend. One does not simply walk into Mordor (the dealership)

Should I try using a tap & die to clean out the treads? They actually look fine, but I guess the start is where I'm having problems. I'm trying a wire brush + vinegar for now

Last edited:

Mine was too rusted also. I ran a 12mm tap through all the holes, then everything worked. Might be easier and cheaper than ordering a new strip.

Managed to get the rusty threads cleared out... Not with an actual tap & die but with a homemmade one. My dad used a trick he learned on the oilfield. He took one of the bolts, filed down the threads to make it tapered, and cut some grooves along the length. We applied some elbow grease and cleared the nuts.
So tomorrow I will install it, and later when the new nut strip comes I can swap it out. Should be much easier because everything will be in place, and will just need to be held up by a jack or something on the right side.

If you have the nutstrips, definitely use them. Personally, at the time of getting my hitch, I didn't have the money to buy from the dealership, but I had a machine shop at my school, so I fabricated a basic set of my own. Because I was silly and didn't take a look at where it would go before I fabbed it, I had to cut one hole off with a hacksaw at my house (schools out for the summer) due to a raised point i hadn't noticed before. It works great though, the thick steel will distribute the weight evenly along that section of the 'frame' rail.
IMG_3890.JPG

Now that's a beefy nutstrip.

I was going to put in the hitch with the washers on the left side, then next week swap out the washers and the rusty right side nutstrip for the new strips...

But I discovered that the square washers are pretty hard to get in the right way. But to make it worse, I put the first two into the wrong holes, each was one spot too close to the bumper. So I had to get them back out... I just gave up for the weekend. I'll finish the job when I get the nutstrip.

BTW the rearmost heat shield bolt was VERY VERY hard to get out. It took a long wrench and breaker bar, and every turn was difficult.

Yeah, not too worried now that I think about it. FL doesn't salt the roads, and the only water I've been thru is fresh water with sand. I'm setting up to do another lift next spring, I'll do it then.... (going a couple inches higher).

Thanks,

Mark

Back