• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Heat From undercarriage

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
SO I bought a 93 XJ thats lifted and on 33's.

It has an ax-15 transmission.

The passenger seat floorboard and center console get really hot I thought it was from the front firewall, but it you put your hands on the cender console its hot and even worse on the floorboard.

Its notice able enough that even with the A/C on it gets hot in the Jeep.

Any thoughts would be REALLY appreciated.

So I took a look and the Crossmember for the RE LA's is right in front of the catalytic converter. So maybe the heat from the CC is getting trapped in the space between the cross member which happens to be the floorboard right on the pass side.

Make sence?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Maybe a heat shield of some sort?

My AX-15 equipped XJ also gets very hot like that. It seems to be pretty normal actually as there's always a thread or two popping up about it and its usally an AX-15. I have Royal Purple gear oil that I have been meaning to put it my transmission but I couldn't get my fill plug off (good thing I tried that before pulling the drain plug). I am hoping once I get that in there it might cool it down atleast a few degrees. That might be something you should try - a good full synthetic gear oil.

hey Tom its going to sound ridiculous but get a couple of those insulated baking sheets used for making cookies, they are a dual layer design with an air pocket in between. attach them to the floorboard over the cat and the muffler, under the jeep. they will help ALOT. later models had a heat shield there, but most of the early ones i've seen either dont have it or it has fallen off. ive seen XJs where the floor just behind the passenger seat gets hot enough to make the carpet smoke.

hmmm, thats good its normal, but weird...

I will have to figure out a way to make it cooler because the fiance' is throwing a fit about it.

The baking sheets is a good idea, lol

I was thinking maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 plate bent over the cat to try and push the heat away, but if its from the tranny too that would be a little harder...

the plate will just heat up and radiate the heat even more. if you are going to use a flat plate try to get a sheet of aluminum.

thats true... I was just thinking about a heat sheild for a fireplace thats shaped like /\ over the cat.

If I do baking sheets, how would I put them, just over the cat, or line the unibody underneath...

I actually a few years back with another XJ and an exhaust leak. LOL I got a hole in the top of the muffler somehow, and it actually caught the insulation adn carpet on fire under the rear seat. There is a joint right before your muffler, it may be leaking and sending the hot exhaust gases directly up at your floorboard. I know it might be one in a million chance, but I wanted to share that fun experience I had..lOL

I will check that out also, anything I can check to try and get it a little cooler. I was also thinking maybe cutting the exhaust and moving the cat back a foor or two till its more under the rear seats.

moving under the rear seat just moves the heat to a place that is contained. i think that would be an even bigger fire risk. i would do the cookie sheet thing (make sure they are the insulated ones) and rivet or screw them to the floor pan from underneath.

You couls also wrap your exhaust with the heat tape, from a performance shop, they use it mostly for headers, but I am sure it would do the trick here for you....

that would work as well but that stuff aint cheap.

you could also pull the carpet and use this stuff http://www.lobucrod.com/

my dad used it on his hotrod and it could be 100° outside and that thing would stay nice and cool inside.

Thats a good idea, I might have to buy some of that and throw it under the carpet, and do the exhaust wrap. I'm not too worried about the pipes rotting, its just an exhaust and I don't go into much water.

mine gets really hot under the pass side even with carpet. from front to back.
combo of engine, tranny (my tranny tunnel gets hot too) and exhaust.
i have a aw4 with two tranny coolers. i moved my muffler forward toward the front of the veichle(made it worse) to clear the ebrake cables. the grand cherokees have heat shields under them for this reason. i pulled a 5ft long aluminum heat shield from a zj for 9.99$ at pnp and so far it seems to help alot so far. i was melting thick rubber floor mats to the floor boards through carpet when i realized i needed to do something...

I ordered two muffler shields from a newer XJ (like a 2000) from the dealer. If I remember correctly they were pretty cheap. Surprising for a dealer I know. I picked up one to go over the muffler and one to go over the cat. Made a huge difference in passenger side floor temps.

Good info guys, I appreciate it. I have to head to a pap son, so I will look for the heat sheilds...

This should be a sticky there is some really good info here!!!

So I took a look and the Crossmember for the RE LA's is right in front of the catalytic converter. So maybe the heat from the CC is getting trapped in the space between the cross member which happens to be the floorboard right on the pass side.

Make sence?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Maybe a heat shield of some sort?

One thing to note is that a clogged catalytic convertor can get really hot. This can also be accompanied by poor throttle response and an engine that bogs down (but not always).

The motor seems to be running good. I have only had it for not even a week. I am used to the V-8 in my old ZJ, lol

Its a blast to drive around, but having my fiance' not be able to have her feet down because it gets so hot sucks.

Back