• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differances in 95 to 96 HO 4.0ltr engines

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
Does any one know what changed from 95 to 96 on the 4.0 six cylinder engine? Are they interchangable, what issues would I have in dropping a 95 engine into a 96 XJ Body?

The pistons rings changed from standard to metric from 95 to 96. You can drop and 95 engine in a 96 without any problems. You will need to use the fuel system off the 96 since they also changed from a return type to non-return.

The computer system changed from OBD-I to OBD-II, so some of the sensors might be a little different, but I don't for sure. I think the CPS may have changed? And the 96 uses only one temp sensor in the thermostat to feed the ECU and run the dash temp gauge.

The differences are not major.

Thanks guy's!

I searched on http://car-part.com/ and see the intake cyl head, and throttle body is different. but dist and exhaust manifold is the same.....

I've got a good drive trail from a 95 with rusted out body and ran across a 96 with a blown engine.........

Any other snags you can think of?

Back