• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Oil pump

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, So i just did new bearings and oil pump on my 4L and I am just wondering how can i prime the oil pump? I did pour some oil down the pick up while the motor was upside down do i have to do anything else before i start the motor? I did read online that once the motor is back into the jeep to pull the dizzy out and use a drill to spin the pump to build pressure. Is there a way to do this with out taking the dizzy out? Can I do it by pulling the spark plugs and coil and just crank it over?

Thanks
Matt

You can just crank it over after pulling the coil wire until the gage shows pressure. The purists, however will tell you to pull the dizzy, make a rod that looks like the dizzy shaft bottom, and prime it the right way. I think that's what I would do if I had just put in new bearings. Hate to wipe that soft babbitt material off the bearings while they are waiting for oil.

Me, I'm old school. Plenty of assembly lube, and spin the oil pump.

At least I no longer wear suspenders and a belt.

Back