• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trannsmission replacement help

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
Who's done it and how long will it take? Any special tools needed? What to look out for.

I've never done a tranny swap but I've done everything else on my cherokee, so a new tranny would mean I've done it all now. This is going in an 89 with an 87 engine tranny and tcase, I pulled everything out in one piece and put the new stuff in all at once too.

suggestions/ help???

You're going to need an E-12 Reverse Torx socket for the top two bolts - replace them with regular hex heads...unfortunately I don't recall the exact size right now. That's all I remember of 'special tools' when replacing mine last year. Everything else is just the usual tools. A tranny jack with a cradle for the tranny is a great idea too.

Thank you yucca man, I really appreciate it. I heard there was something special ibhad to do with the torque converter recall anything like that.

You need to remove the dust cover and remove the 4 flex plate bolts and some one to hold a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. The torx heads are a bear, but coming out is easier than going in. Before reinstalling the replacement tranny make sure that you get the torque converter all the way on the pump shaft, 3 clicks if I remember correctly. In any case the tranny should slide up on the motor without forcing it or using the bolts to pull it down.

Sweet thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna have a fun day tomorrow, and its raining too.......

Gotta love mud at the pick a part.

Back