• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Soft Tire Balancing Q's

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done putting airsoft BB's in my tires (front only) I bought a thing of 6,500 .12 gram BB's

.12 x 6500 = 780 grams
780 x .03527(grams to ounces) = 27.5106 ounces

so i eyeballed the container and poured half in one tire and half in the other:gee:

so i put roughly 13.75 ounces in each. There were weights left on only one tire. So i took those off (like i read to do in another thread).

My tires are 33x12.5x15 Super Swamper TSL SSR's

My question is could i have put to much in? because my tires shake more now than they did before. Or not enough? i read in another thread that you couldn't put to many and should put about as many ounces as lead weights you'd need.

The tire shop told me i would need like 17 per side per tire. so 34 ounces a tire.

Should i put more in them orrrrr........?

thanks

What kind of shape are your tires in. You may need to rotate your tires and put airsoft's in the other pair.

I'm running 33 x 10.50 x 15 BFG KM2's on Allied beadlocks and run 10oz in each tire. At any speed up to 75 (as fast as I go) it's a smooth ride.

I feel you pain, I've got 34" LTB's and have over 20 oz in each tire and the front vibrates horribly and all 4 are brand new still have the nipples on them. Tried dismounting and turning tires, removing bb's and using traditional weights nothing helps. I watched them one day while doorless and they are wobbling vertically at anything above 30, makes it feel like the whole front end is going to fall apart.

I feel you pain, I've got 34" LTB's and have over 20 oz in each tire and the front vibrates horribly and all 4 are brand new still have the nipples on them. Tried dismounting and turning tires, removing bb's and using traditional weights nothing helps. I watched them one day while doorless and they are wobbling vertically at anything above 30, makes it feel like the whole front end is going to fall apart.

20 ounces is alot and possibly too much, I don't know. I took a 10,000 bb container and broke it up into 5 bags. I did this using a big measuring cup and filling the cup over full and skimmed the top with the flat part of a kitchen knife and just added a cup to each bag until there were no more bbs left. So I should have approximately 8 ounces per tire and all of my tires including my spare are balanced with bbs. I run 35x15.5x16.5 bias ply TSLs and they take a few minutes to warm up but after that they ride as smooth as a bias ply TSL can. I drove without the bbs originally and it's a HUGE difference. Before the bbs my truck would shake violently at around 30 and that issue has almost gone completely away.

I've tried traditional weights which 3 of the 4 the machine said needed 14+ oz on the outside, 10oz of bb's in each tire, and then up to 20 oz. With all 3 methods still got the same result terrible vibrations above 30.

How does BB balancing even work? If one part of the tire is heavier, that part would move outward more from centrifugal force, and the BBs would collect there, making it worse... right?? Likewise if it's wobbling, that makes it even worse, because the wobble is toward the center of gravity of the wheel.

I've been googling and I can't find ANY explanation of the principle. Just people accepting that it works like it's some kind of gospel, without any idea of the what is supposed to happen to create balance.

Last edited:
All these recent airsoft bb balancing threads make me glad that i don't want huge tires. 31's will do just fine for me!

How does BB balancing even work? If one part of the tire is heavier, that part would move outward more from centrifugal force, and the BBs would collect there, making it worse... right?? Likewise if it's wobbling, that makes it even worse, because the wobble is toward the center of gravity of the wheel.

I've been googling and I can't find ANY explanation of the principle. Just people accepting that it works like it's some kind of gospel, without any idea of the what is supposed to happen to create balance.

The BB's should go opposite of where the tire is heaviest. Not sure about it though. I am assuming that it will only be balanced at speed though right?

I have been running zinc bb's, 12oz per tire for over a year now and have had nothing but great results!! My tires are destroyed and still do not even wiggle at any speed, I even run without swaybars!!!! I am putting on some new KM2's probably this Monday and they are getting the same 12oz zinc bb treatment!! :thumbup:

255/85/16 Cooper ST’s with 8oz Air Soft per tire and it changed my life. May want to look into a tire shop with a tire truer if your tires are out of round.

ok i lied i ma not sure if they were sticking somewhere or what but i notice i really only did it when accelerating. So i can tell it is the rears that are shaking. Since i looked at the tires out the window and they arent moving at all. And going down the road at about 60 it is good adn smooth.

Back