• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just intalled a 2" lift on my xj now i need shocks, need help deciding what to buy

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
just intalled a 2" lift on my xj now i need shocks, need help deciding what to buy

ok, so i put a 2" lift on my xj, its a 2000 lpd30 up front 8.25 rear. my basic problem will be droop, since i installed the new lift, im not getting full extension, i still have my stock bump stops but i still need approx 3" more of droop before my LCA max out and i cant get anymore droop.

whats a good reasonable shock to upgrade to? i want a set of shocks that will soak up the bumps on rough road without beating me to death but still ride firm enough to where i wont have crazy body roll during turns, i understand the rancho 9000xl's do that but im really just looking for something that will perform better than what i have ( i wanna say carquests vst BRUTE shock up front and the cheapest gabriels i could find in the rear (got those cuz i knew i was lifting my xj in less than a year and needed something to get by on)

can anyone give me personal expierence on shocks they prefer

Re: just intalled a 2" lift on my xj now i need shocks, need help deciding what to bu

OME's, RE Monotubes, Bilstein. The more you pay the better they get!

Re: just intalled a 2" lift on my xj now i need shocks, need help deciding what to bu

you should be able to use JK shocks for 2" lift, and you can find some pretty cheap take-off sets on ebay and jk-forum sometimes

i went out and took a few pictures of it flexing with just 2 inches of lift, i havent gotten the shocks yet so i can only hope to expect some more droop =) i was very very impressed today with how much better it handled!
side view doesnt really do it justice...
IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

even 2 inches later on stock leafs... it still tucks =)
IMG_0997.jpg

can ya tell what shocks im runnin? :gee:
IMG_0998.jpg

and i know i know before ya tell me i need to trim my fenders... my only thing is the paint chipping up higher than where i bend it... my paint still looks kinda nice lol i dont want the paint to chip prematurely.

i may fold it tomorrow though, someone told me at this shop today to blue tape it below and above the bend. and it wont chip nearly as bad if at all.

so imma man up and try that, if it still cracks to hell and back im gonna ghetto rhino line my xj and use skateboard grip tape =D its going to look bad ass you will just have to see it when its done lol

I got a set of edelbrock. They have a huge sale on their web page. Very very satisfied.

ok, so i put a 2" lift on my xj, its a 2000 lpd30 up front 8.25 rear. my basic problem will be droop, since i installed the new lift, im not getting full extension, i still have my stock bump stops but i still need approx 3" more of droop before my LCA max out and i cant get anymore droop.

whats a good reasonable shock to upgrade to? i want a set of shocks that will soak up the bumps on rough road without beating me to death but still ride firm enough to where i wont have crazy body roll during turns, i understand the rancho 9000xl's do that but im really just looking for something that will perform better than what i have ( i wanna say carquests vst BRUTE shock up front and the cheapest gabriels i could find in the rear (got those cuz i knew i was lifting my xj in less than a year and needed something to get by on)

can anyone give me personal expierence on shocks they prefer
Looking godd, now go out and have fun with it..call doetsch tech and ask them about there shocks.tell them what your looking for and they will fix you up.new baja ryder i think would be perfect ..there shipping is fast got mine in 24 hrs..wouldn't spend a lot, cuz you will be raising it lol.. good luck..

Rancho is a good name, and their RS5000's are decent for a good price (about $50 each). You can find the specs (compressed and extended length, along with end fittings) on their web page...very helpful.

Looking to add droop...do you have sway bars still? Front disco's will help, along with ditching the rear. Keep the rear if you're worried about "high speed" handling, but the sway bar really limits your flex.

Just my $0.02. Nice Jeep...keep modifying...it's addictive!

Those cheap carquest gas shocks like what I gave you for the front are hard to beat. Its what I run on the back of the PJ and ill tell you they can take a hit and some heat.

What happened to trimming your fenders?

Those cheap carquest gas shocks like what I gave you for the front are hard to beat. Its what I run on the back of the PJ and ill tell you they can take a hit and some heat.

What happened to trimming your fenders?

so far i've bitched out cuz eveyone say's how bad the paint will chip where i fold it lol, but i talked to this body guy and he was like if i taped it on both sides, it shouldnt chip real bad, so i got some blue tape, now i just need to trim it.

and your 100% right those car quest gas shocks are the shit, they just need to be about 3 inches longer and they would work perfect... they soak up alot of hits when i dont see a drop off in time

Back