• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please tell me, ive searched for 2 hours !

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok heres my deal
lately ive been getting back into my jeep and have been buying things that ive needed for a long time. first of all, here are my specs

2001 Cherokee limited
6.5 " lift
RE drop brackets
stock upper arms
RE fixed lower arms
35" Good year A/T's
4.5" coils
2" spacers
4.5" leafs
2" shackles
Rockyroad ADJ. track bar
Stainless steel brake lines
P.O.R.C. H.D. SYE
Stock front driveshaft off of an 89 in the REAR
sway bar disconnects

yesterday i went from 33's to 35's so this morning i ordered
C-ROK's steering box reinforcment
on monday i am ordering RE HD track bar and bracket
along with the Rustys steering box brace

does anyone see anything else that i should need BESIDES adjustable upper control arms ??? ive been in a dilemma about this whole DROP PITMAN arm thing, and from all the searching ive done, i still cannot determine if i need one
it is my understanding that the drag link and the track bar must remain parallel for the suspension to work correctly, im stuck at this because im getting RE track bar bracket and track bar, and ive read that this DOES NOT lower the actual centerline of the track bar. but others are still putting drop pitman arms on their jeeps.

long stroy short. do i need a drop pitman arm or no???
thankyou for your time, but ive been searching all morning and am still confused. thankyou

Hmm... Just by glancing at your list I can tell you to cancel the Rusty's steering box brace...

C-Rok's plate should be enough without the stress of Rusty's brace...

I guess a few people have had fitment issues...

weld quality...

and consensus seems that it places undue stress on the unibody at the attachment...

A lot of Rusty's steering braces are laying around collecting dust...

Mine is somewhere under the porch...

If you search for "Rusty's steering brace" you'll find a few more opinions.

so do you think that the C-ROK reinforcement will be enough for the steering box ???

oh and also, ive done more research and i think im going to add rubicon express track bar brace to my TO GET list. any one have any problems or comments about this ???

and i still am puzzled on the drop pitman arm situation : /

I agree,. C-ROC is all you need. I purchased both as well and gave the Rusty's to a friend. I'm also running 35's.

Kent :)

Rubicon EXpress makes a bolt on cross member that goes under the engine. I'd look at that if you want to stiffen up the front frame rails a touch more.

You dont need a drop pitman arm,Id be way more worried about pinion/caster angles since you have a LP D30!

rrcherokee said:
i'd get a drop pitman arm just to keep the stress on stearing to a minimum. Try a JA500 from Skyjacker

SPOBI!

Please explain your theory.......how a longer pitman arm creates less stress on the steering?

Adding an RE style trackbar brace will reduce the XJ's inherent chassis flex, which also compromises motor mounts.

Last edited:
I run a drop pitman arm on 6 inches and my cRusty's trackbar with HD bracket and steering have the proper geometry. You would only need a 1.25" drop if anything. Take a picture of your front end....also are you getting bumpsteer or DW?

the only thing it does is make the angle in the steering the same as stock to keep it out of a bind with the higher you go the more angle added to the steering.

rrcherokee said:
the only thing it does is make the angle in the steering the same as stock to keep it out of a bind with the higher you go the more angle added to the steering.

That's a much more accurate statement, and to add to it...........a dropped pitman arm reduce the TRE bind but also introduces added stress on the steering box due to the increased leverage. At your height/tire size, my recommendation is to raise/replace the linkage with a design that eliminates bind at all TRE's.

Just another opinion to throw in the mix. Down the road you might want to put a winch on your rig. Lots of good bumpers that have winch mounts also tie into the steering box.

Back