• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA smog laws and fuel cells

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any insight on this subject? i would love to throw a fuel cell in my XJ but it needs to remain street legal. are there any specific laws regarding fuel cells on the books in CA?

thats what i thought, my XJ is a 95 also so i have to have the tank leakdown test done, where they pressurize it with nitrogen and clamp off the vacuum lines.

It is a cool topic! I believe you just run the vent tube into a reducer and use your evap as designed. You would just need to cut the cap section out of your original tank filler so that you can utilize you stock cap for the smog test.

I have been told that you can hook up all your original return lines and filler neck and cap and it still will not be smog legal because fuel cells themselves are not legal and it will fail on the visual inspection. Possibly if you ran your cell in the stock location and painted it black it may go unnoticed but that's kind of a gamble.

According to the Guy at the referee station when I did my buddies 4.3 conversion.. Fuel cells are not legal in calif, unless it has been certified by the DOT, & CARB. That was the main reason for myself getting the Northwest Metal Products 32 gal tank. It has a CARB sticker.. This was a year ago, and I am not sure if the rules have changed since..

Back