• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help on a Clunk please

lardog

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first posting.
I have a 1999 XJ with 130K on it and no lift.
What a great vehicle.
But When I come to a stop and the XJ settles back on its suspension I get a clunk in the drive line also when I take off from the stop I hear the same sound. It is like the suspension is unloading and loading. It doesnt happen every time I stop. My local 4x4 shop says it has to do with where the rear drive shaft slides in and out of the transfer case. I have a 97 XJ with 180K miles on it and no noise at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? I have spent quite some time under the XJ looking for signs of wear or movement and do not see the problem.

Thanks

My slip yoke that goes into the transfer case has a zirk on it which I keep geased doesnt this do the same thing?
It sounds like from other posts that I have read that it doesnt.
Thanks for the reply by the way.
Lardog

So I assume I need to unbolt the drive shaft from the rear diff and then pull it from the transfer case. Clean the inside of the driveshaft slip joint and then clean the shaft that in the transfer case and relube all.
Does this make sense to you??

So I assume I need to unbolt the drive shaft from the rear diff and then pull it from the transfer case. Clean the inside of the driveshaft slip joint and then clean the shaft that in the transfer case and relube all.
Does this make sense to you??

It makes sense now. i looked at it this evening. Requires some disassembly. not a one evening project for me. maybe over the weekend.

OK here goes, I was reading past threads on this problem and in the past there were many who chimed in on this.
The one I find the most interesting was a chrysler mechanic responde to this problem and by the way he described the fix it sounded like this is nothing new. He said to pull the shaft and coat the assembly with anti sieze compund. Now up here in Minnesota anti sieze is like God, I dont look at my trucks without PB in one hand and anti sieze in the other. So this weekend I am going to try this if I can get the bolts out of my rear u joints. I will post my findings.

Thanks all

Lardog

Back