• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country 4.5"

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like some opinions of what people have heard/seen/experienced about the Rough Country 4.5" lift. It would be for a dd/weekend wheeler. Thanks

I love my RC 6.5. I know its different. It was on the cheap end of kits so i spent money on other things like SYE and control arm drops. And a new AC compressor. No complaints whatsoever. Except when I wheel it with the sway bar disconnected the drivers side spring contacts/rubs my factory track rod mount doodad. I hear this is common with a lot of kits. I plan to go to a beefier track arm set up with a frame mount that is flush to the subframe. Rusty's maybe. Look at your drivers spring and just in front of it there is a hump. My spring rubs that. Also are you buying kit with add a leafs or new spring packs. Much harsher ride with aal's

I'm looking at a rig that currently has it, I'll ask about the rear. Thanks for the opinion.

I have heard that they rid rough on the road, but flex really nice offroad. For the price, you cant beat it. Call up jason for some sweet deals

In the past 3 mounts i have done(installed) the rc 4.5 kit, and the rustys 4.5 kit.the rc is on a 99 xj sport and the rustys is on a 90. the rc kit was the budget frendly with the add a leaf and shacke to get the lift in the rear,priced at $459.99. the rustys kit has the full new spring pack priced at almost $1,000 with shipping. rc didnt charge for shipping.. imho i would do the rc 4.5 kit with a new rear leaf pack priced at 659.99 . thats a great price ,no charge for shipping, and by a adjustable track bar i bought one at fat bob's garage for $99.99 bucks and its a good upgrade. and its very easy to go to 6-6.5 from that base 4.5 of lift.and dont for get a sye and a nice tom woods rear drive shaft.

I had one on my rig for a little over a year. No real complaints, I went cheap and did the AAL's and in hind sight would have coughed up the extra for the replacement packs. Aside from that I was happy with it. Rides a lot stiffer than stock but the flex on the trail was very good. I ended up swapping the AAL's for a set of Alcan springs and only recently went to an Iron Rock long arm. I would put 4.5" at the limit of what I would run without drop brackets or LA's just for ride comforts sake.

I dd my xj and it rides rough... But I love how it flexes. The only reason my jeep rides so rough is cause of my shackle angle... it is crap. But get it you will not regret it. You may need an SYE and front shaft.

i have the RC 4.5 inch lift with full leaf pack. It was really good for the price,i invested in quick disco's and wheels/tires with the money that i saved. Also the shocks suck, and your gonna have to get control arm drop brackets, because the frame will be absorbing the bumps and trust me it sucks. Also it started to sag in the back a little bit, and i don't know about you, but i hate when the front is higher then the back so i slapped some shackles on and it looks like a million bucks, so verall it is a little bit of a rough ride, but well worth the money!

I like my RC 4.5" kit. It rides way better than the worn out, whipped stock suspension that was on my XJ. It rides fine to me and have no complaints. I did buy the full rear spring packs and have the standard RC shocks. It wheels great too but makes a little noise as the coil rubs the bump stop lip a little during flex. It is very predictable off road and doesn't pitch around like some of the kits with softer front coils. We did a lot of off-camber stuff at Morris Mountain and I was very comfortable with how it performed.

I also did the RC a few months ago on my 93 xj, no complaints and i like the fact that i didn't have to do the sye, no vibes at all.

i also have a RC 4.5 AAL stiff but its a Jeep. I couldnt see spending more on a lift then i did on the jeep. So thats why i went with it. Havnt had a chance to take it off road yet, motor started knocking and i just built another and about to take it next weekend. My fingers are crossed

I have a 4.5 RC with new leafs and it rides a little rough but I don't mind...it's a jeep thing I guess!

Thanks for all the reviews guys.

Let us know what you end up getting, and im sure that if you need a hand their will be some naxjars willing to lend an hour or two. For beer and food of course. :laugh3: Please post pics when done here is my jeep with the RC 4.5 with full leaf pack, but before i added the longer shackle. kind of hard to see, I will post more if requested.
ry%3D400

RC 4.5" with full spring packs TNT boomerang 1.5" shackles, longer brake lines all around, and SYE, on 31's rear swaybar gone, front disconnected:

normal_DSC_0142.JPG

normal_DSC_0402.JPG

be ready to replace the shocks. they work, but as well as any other $30 shock. don't know if they are still doing the trackbar relocation bracket, but that is the only think i didn't like. replaced it with the RE adjustable model with the brace.

would definitely purchase again. customer support is top notch

Is an SYE still necessary with 4.5" if it has a Tcase drop? Where are you in jersey tom?

Back