• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" lift control arms

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am looking at purchasing a used RE 4.5" kit that comes without control arms. In ericxj's (moderator of jeepforum.com and owner of ericsxj.com) review of the kit (http://ericsxj.com/stage1.htm), he measured the control arms and the new ones were only 1/8" longer than the stock ones.

Now, my questions are:

Will the stock control arms work? Can I use them until I find a good deal on adjustable control arms?

Also, are the control arm lengths between pre-96 and 97+ XJ's any different?

Thanks in advance,
Jeep450r

Stock control arms will work but your caster will be pushed toward negative...read "front wheels of shopping cart" or "death wobble" If you have a moog adjustable lower ball joints or a control arm drop kit it will help. That kit came with adj. arms or longer arms for a reason. I dont think there is a difference between <96 and >97 but ask someone else.

All of the XJ, TJ, and LJ front control arms are exactly the same.

The front geometry is pretty far off at 4.5" and stock arms may very well cause "death wobble." If you are trying to stay on a budget, rather than look at changing ball joints or the pitman arm, I'd look at doing drop brackets. That'll put the required length for the LCA back at stock. The stock arms are pretty weak but, that opens up the options for used parts to include fixed LCAs. . .

I am looking at purchasing a used RE 4.5" kit that comes without control arms. In ericxj's (moderator of jeepforum.com and owner of ericsxj.com) review of the kit (http://ericsxj.com/stage1.htm), he measured the control arms and the new ones were only 1/8" longer than the stock ones.

Now, my questions are:

Will the stock control arms work? Can I use them until I find a good deal on adjustable control arms?

Also, are the control arm lengths between pre-96 and 97+ XJ's any different?

Thanks in advance,
Jeep450r

Stock arms won't work.. The caster will be wrong, and they are not strong enough. Even with drop brackets, if you put any tires larger than stock you will regret not having good control arms.

If you can get the RE ones cheap go for it.
otherwise don't buy RE, i have Blown out three of their 'flex' joints.

good control arms come from JKS
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...MS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

My humble opinion.

So based on that chart, If I got Rough country drop-brackets, I would be fine with the stock control arms... correct?

I could also get away with the stock UCA's right?

So based on that chart, If I got Rough country drop-brackets, I would be fine with the stock control arms... correct?

I could also get away with the stock UCA's right?

The length is right for both uppers and lowers but, for any serious wheeling, they remain fairly weak.

Back