• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner fender trimming??

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my setup:
2000 4.0 aw4
stock suspension
235/75/r15 all terrains :anon:
soft8s with the 4inch(??) backspacing... does that sound right??

Anyways when I max out the suspension in the rear, or even carry a heavy load, the tires rub on the inside of the fenders in the rear. I have heard of people trimming out parts of the fender to get rid of this??
Advice, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

budget boost

Install new, non-saggy, leaf springs, a Budget Boost, or extend the rear bump stops.

Are you referring to the seam where the two panels meet at the top of the inner fender? If so, just use a grinder and make slits, then whack them up until they're flat.

After re-reading your post a couple times, there is no way your tires are rubbing on the inside of the fender. With those wheels it pushes your tires farther away from the inside of the fender. What you're rubbing on is the actual rear fender and/or flare if it's still in place. You need a budget boost, like said above, or to trim and fold your rear fenders, also mentioned.

I trimmed the actual inside of my fender, and well as the outer. I'm stuffing 32's on hardly no lift, and the width of the tire wanted to rub on the pinch weld located on the inside (by gas tank) of the fenderwell.

An RC 2" Lift would do the trick if you wish to keep your Fender Flares. However, are you going to go Higher in the Future or keeping it as Stock as possible? ReLifting a XJ to Taller and Taller Heights can start to get Tiring and is not very Cost Effective.

It is better to go with Lift Shackles than with Add A Leafs. Add A Leafs Flatten out in a few Months especially the Shorties. The Longer Shackle will give you better Leaf Spring Action than using the Stock Shackle and can be used with any Future Leaf Spring Upgrades. IMHO

I suggest, Ponder what it is you see for the Future for yourself and your XJ and come up with what Height you would want to End Up at and go from there. IMHO

XJ_Shackles___Spacers.jpg

1-888-886-8404 US $89.95 US $8.95 UPS Ground

Or, you can Order them Off ebay.com Search XJ 2 lift and Choices will Load Up.

# 1 pair of rear shackles with 2 holes of adjustment
(for 1.5" of height or 2" of height)
# Upper Poly Bushings and All Necessary Hardware
# 2" Coil Spacers

Last edited:
Here is my setup:
2000 4.0 aw4
stock suspension

Anyways when I max out the suspension in the rear, or even carry a heavy load, the tires rub on the inside of the fenders in the rear. I have heard of people trimming out parts of the fender to get rid of this??
Thanks.

Pics? I had the same problem and i put AAL's on the rear and it solved it!

Here is my setup:
2000 4.0 aw4
stock suspension

Thanks.

There is your problem. Raise it up a bit. Do not trim any part of the rear inner fenders.

Besides, how the hell are you contacting the inner fender well in the rear with those tiny tires on 4" BS wheels??

That's what I said. He's not. He means the actual fender. I had the same setup a long time ago and there was a good 6" between the tire and the inner fenderwell. But you can easily rub on the fender, so time to go up.

Back