• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with ignition switch or barrel

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have isolated the starting problem I am having to the ignition switch or barrel. It only starts intermitantly. Do you think it is the switch part or a worn barrel.

The switch is under the instrument panel, attached to the side of the steering column. There is a rod that runs from the key barrel down to the switch. Turning the keys moves the rod back-n-forth. You may be able to loosen the screws on the switch and adjust or yuo may find you have to replace the switch.

You still haven't mentioned what the symptoms are, so I'm not sure what else to tell you. Is the symptom that it intermittently doesn't crank when you turn the key? If yes, try starting it in neutral which would point to a bad NSS and not the ignition switch.

I have put a earth on the NSS leg of the starter relay so the NSS is totally out of the equasion. I have noticed that if I push down on the key as I turn it , it seems to help.

Back