• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much can an NP231 Handle???

What Tcase should I use with 47's and 2.5 rockwells??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've been eye balling an atlas but there a bit pricey. For the money I could rebuild a few 231's

How would you guys feel about running a np231 with 2.5 ton Rockwells and 47" ltb's
I'm also currently working on a 4.8 stroker for it.

Do you think the 231 can hack it? I'm alright with bringing a spare since there fairly easy to swap. but I'd rather not do it every time I crawl

Last edited:
No way. Wheeled a couple of weeks ago with a guy who has a Durango with full-width 60's, a V-8 and an NP231 (supposedly stronger for the Durango). Case cracked in half at the beginning of the trail.

It's never a good idea to have your TC as your weak link. "Fairly easy to swap" is fine in the garage; however, on the side of the trail, with your buddies waiting for you, and leaking fluid everywhere, that's a TON of trouble (for you and everyone around you). IMHO, if you're going to build a cool rig that's stroked and on big rubber, finish the job right with the Atlas.

Last edited:
The axles are geared 6.72:1 this should lighten the load on the tcase quite a bit. but 47 is alot of tire. I'm hoping to spend the money elsewhere I need a new winch (milemarker died on first run) and I need Ujoint style axles shafts... Mine are bendix :(

Last edited:
I say if you are going to put the money up for rockwells and 47" tires finish the sweet build with a nice Atlas. You could always search around for a used unit and rebuild it. A 300 twin stick or even a old 205 would be better than any 231 or 242. I wouldn't put a chain tcase in at all

If you want to go on the cheap go for a 205..gear driven and almost indestructable. Plus you can throw on the dual shifters ;)

Ive been looking for a used one that would definitely be Ideal. there's one on Pirate the guy wants 1850 and its a year old when there 1900 new o_O

Last edited:
a rig of that caliber needs stought parts atlas all day.

I guess I'll blow the money on an atlas... the GTFO option is gettin kinda high lol

It can take a max. torque value of 1885 lb. ft. The number for the 231 is based upon a manual transmission (2.2 load factor).

So a fresh rebuilt NP231 should be able to easily handle it. Considering the axles are geared 6.72:1 no force of any considerable amount will come through that side.Though the tires will increase it. My stroker wont put out anything to far over 350 lb ft

Last edited:
Well they used the np241 in full sized chevys, and the 231 has larger gears and chain in it....so sure

Would force from the tires be increased 1:6.72 ? since its geared down from the tcase side?

You all can stop voting "Seriously? GTFO"
I ordered a 4.3:1 atlas today.. She'll be home in 3 weeks

Thanks for your opinions :)

Back