• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Brake in a XJ

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried to Search for "steering brake" with these results:

steering & brake

steering, brake

and.... steering...... brake.....

However, no "steering brake" so I tried Jamar Steering Brake "No Results"

Then I tried "Cutting Brake" and the two Threads on NAXJA talk about it and not much on Installation. Both were Posted back in 2005. So, I thought maybe someone has done one since then and would to share their Thoughts and Installation Process.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53636&highlight=cutting+brake

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72357&highlight=cutting+brake

That being said,

Has anyone every installed a Steering Brake in their XJ? I used to have one in my other than Jeep 4x4 back in the early '80s. However, I did not install it and I do not remember how it was done. It worked pretty good and I had lots of Fun with it.

If you have or seen it done, would you please give me some insight as what Steering Brake Kit was used?

If you could, would you please post the Installation Process and maybe include some Photos?

If you know of a Thread or Two on NAXJA or another Site of one being installed in a XJ, that would help too.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Here are a couple of Steering Brakes:

Jamar Billet Single Handle Steering Brake

Solid billet steering brake with 3/4 diameter cylinders for drum or disc brake.

MADE IN THE USA

Code: JCB5 Price: $119.99
cb5.jpg

A solid billet steering brake with 3/4" diameter cylinders for disc or drum brakes.
MADE IN THE USA
Code: JUS2001X Price: $119.99
US2000copy.jpg

lots of guys around here run them.... i have used them in their rigs before and they do help quite a bit on certain turns or climbs and turns.

but i think they would be overkill for a dd xj.

search pirate

I appreciate that. This XJ is being Built now for OffRoading. I am getting a DD from a friend. Thanks for your thoughts.

Where I am, I would use it for going around really tight spots such as a bunch of trees where my TJ friends have no trouble and I have to stop and fiddle around and get behind or sometimes must turn back.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you. I do appreciate your responses.

I have Searched and just this past hour did a Re Search on this Forum and many others including Pirate 4x4 and have Yahoo and Google both Phrases and have come up with nothing about an Install of a Steering Brake or Cutting Brakes on a XJ.

I have found them on other Vehicles including a FSJ. However, I am hoping to do this Install on our XJ so we may have this Modification to use OffRoad.

If someone has seen or did this Install, please Post Up and Write about how it was done as you may remember it.

You can see under my Profile and under my Posts, how I do my best to help others.

Something or another other than go here or go there to another site would be helpful.

Can we please have a Discussion on the Possibilities or even Theory of how this is done or how it may be done on a XJ.

Thank you.

Then say I searched but couldn't find anything when you first post! :cheers:

I did that, myself. It hasn't worked for me either on this Thread.

Does anyone want to discuss Installing a Steering Brake (Cutting Brake)?

Nobody, has seen this done or have done it themselves on an XJ?

This may be a little simply minded but what if you just got another parking brake assembly. Mount the 2 side by side and just have each one connected to one wheel each. Seems that it would work for the most part.

very few (even SERIOUS) wheelers do this. its an expensive mod that really only helps you if your into competition, and need to shave a couple seconds over having to make a 3 point turn.

its much more expensive then just installing that brake. youd need a selectable locker, which adds another 800+ to the bill, and judging from your avator pic there are a lot better upgrades you could do with your jeep to bring its offroad cabability up then a cutting brake....which really wont take you any farther down the trail

This may be a little simply minded but what if you just got another parking brake assembly. Mount the 2 side by side and just have each one connected to one wheel each. Seems that it would work for the most part.

That's a Great idea! Thanks.

However, Emergency Cables stretch and the many times I have had to use Emergency Brakes and all they did was slowly bring the Vehicle to a Stop. Heaven forbid I had to come to a stop on a Steep Incline.

I do not think Emergency Brakes would do the trick as Torque from turning the other Wheel when Pivoting would be to much for them to hold.

I was looking for a Hydraulic Fluid Line Type Solution where it would use the Drum or Disk Brakes to bring the Wheel on one side to a slow Rate of Turn or even to a stop while Pivoting.

Thanks.

very few (even SERIOUS) wheelers do this. its an expensive mod that really only helps you if your into competition, and need to shave a couple seconds over having to make a 3 point turn.

its much more expensive then just installing that brake. youd need a selectable locker, which adds another 800+ to the bill,

I see $800+, I suppose all Mods to an XJ cost less.

This is from the Site from Post #4 http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_0707_cutting_brakes/photo_01.html

131_0707_18_z+cutting_brakes+diagram_3.jpg

Another option is to use cutting brakes as a cheap traction tool. Say you have a cutting brake at each rear wheel, but you do not have a locking differential. You could be driving up a hill and one rear and one front wheel start to spin until you stop moving forward. By applying the cutting brake to the spinning wheel, the open differential will send power to the other wheel, and if it has traction it will begin pulling you up the hill. This is sort of a poor man's traction control.

131_0707_16_z+cutting_brakes_diagram_1.jpg

When you want to turn sharply in your 4x4, simply engage a cutting brake for one of the rear wheels and this will let the front axle pull you around the turn. This works very well in a vehicle that either has a selectable rear locker and/or a transfer case that allows you to engage the front axle only. If you have a full-time locker in the rear like a Detroit, you need to engage the front axle only, otherwise the rear tires will drive through the cutting brakes. If you have a rear selectable locker like an ARB, Ox, or E-locker that gives you an open differential when unlocked, you can unlock the rear locker but still engage four-wheel drive when you use one rear cutting brake. This will send the power to the three unlocked wheels and you will pivot around the locked one. View Related

131_0707_01_z+cutting_brakes+kit.jpg

and judging from your avator pic there are a lot better upgrades you could do with your jeep to bring its offroad cabability up then a cutting brake....which really wont take you any farther down the trail

Let me be the Judge as to what I wish to Install on my XJ. I have been driving on and OffRoad for 40 years. Have you even noticed my Signature? It says Etc, Etc., Etc. I think I have done more to my XJ than most have on here and not as much as others. I'm not building this XJ for JeepSpeed.

If I wish to Install a "Steering Brake" or even Discuss about how to Install one on a Forum that is supposed to be about XJ Modifications and if I want to Pivot around an Object... or have a Poor Person's Traction Device... that is my choice, not your's.

Please, can we please Discuss how one can Install a Hydraulic Steering Brake or Cutting Brake on an XJ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

its much more expensive then just installing that brake. youd need a selectable locker, which adds another 800+ to the bill, and judging from your avator pic there are a lot better upgrades you could do with your jeep to bring its offroad cabability up then a cutting brake....which really wont take you any farther down the trail
It will work with a lunchbox locker!

Still not having much luck Searching the Web.

Can anyone Read Hebrew. I can not.

Post #19 on this Site: http://www.jeepolog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13019

חפש cutting brakes בגוגל בהקשר של באגים, מאד מקובל. יש מוצרי מדף.

ברוך - יפה מאד, עכשיו תן תמונות קלוז-אפ, של מה? של המתלים כמובן...

You don't need a selectable locker to use cutting brakes, but you do need a gear driven T case. If you try to lock up the rear axle in a 231, then apply power you will probably damage it. Get a atlas or stak, then run a pinion brake.

-Alex

MY neighbor can, would you like me to have her translate

That would be really nice of you and her.

All I am trying to do is find out is how to Install Cutting Brakes on my XJ.

On Pirate4x4 and here on NAXJA, XJ Jeepers talk about Using them, Seeing them, Think about Installing them. However, I can not find a single Thread about Installing them on an XJ.

Thanks for your help.

You don't need a selectable locker to use cutting brakes, but you do need a gear driven T case. If you try to lock up the rear axle in a 231, then apply power you will probably damage it. Get a atlas or stak, then run a pinion brake.

-Alex
damn good point right here...

i still think it would be a dumb idea.

go cheaper and install a line lock, or a twinsticked case and do digs.

I've got 'em in mine. It's just a matter of running brake lines, there's nothing special about putting them in an XJ vs. any other vehicle or a comp buggy.

Guess I'm not understanding what you're looking for...

I had had a Steering Brake in a Vehicle 30 years ago and loved using it.

I may know a little about Jeeps in General, however, I am no Mechanic, Fabricator, nor Engineer.

When I install something with my 16 year old son... I pretty much need Directions on how to do it and Photos with Comments always help.

That is how we Installed everything Listed in my Signature. Without the "How to" or "I did this" Write Ups, we would be Lost. I do know how to Bleed Brakes and I sometimes have a Young Man I pay help me at times when it is too difficult for me since I am a Mother and Grandmother after all.

That is why I thought it would be cool if someone would share Installing a Steering Brake (Cutting Brake) for myself and others who may be thinking about it on this Forum since it is a XJ Technical Modifications Thread. Why not Discuss it or Share how it is done in an XJ?

This thread is a joke! :)

You install it the exact same way that you install it on any other vehicle, nothing is XJ specific. Cut the rear brake line. Route it into the "IN" on the cutting brake. From each "OUT", go to one rear wheel (you will run 2 new lines the rest of the way back).

You'll find it easiest if you use steel braided brake line the whole way back, expect to spend $200 on brake line parts.

Seriously, if that is not enough instruction for you, you probably shouldn't be modifying your brake system. :)

This thread is a joke! :)

You install it the exact same way that you install it on any other vehicle, nothing is XJ specific. Cut the rear brake line. Route it into the "IN" on the cutting brake. From each "OUT", go to one rear wheel (you will run 2 new lines the rest of the way back).

You'll find it easiest if you use steel braided brake line the whole way back, expect to spend $200 on brake line parts.

Seriously, if that is not enough instruction for you, you probably shouldn't be modifying your brake system. :)

Thank you for Simplifying it for me. All I have seen is what I have mentioned here on earlier Posts. And, if it is as simple as you say it is, certainly someone could have explained it earlier than this. It wouldn't of hurt anyone to Post how to do it.

Seriously.... I have seen very simple, sometimes you wonder how they can drive OEM Questions asked in this XJ Modification Forum. I and other Jeepers have answered those questions without giving them as much Lip as I have received asking a Modification Question in a Modification Forum.

I am a Paid Member and I have helped a Lot of People. Why is it when I ask something... this is what I get. Certainly, it wouldn't of been to hard to Help me as well. Some people may know how to do things, others not. Do People really think I am All Knowing. I think not. And, I am sure all those not willing to answer a Question that they could have helped out on are not either.

Thanks for explaining it. I thought that another Master Cylinder had to be Installed some where to Operate the Cutting Brakes. In my mind, as I conceived it, Installing a Cutting Brake System was very complicated. Thanks for simplifying it. I have it Pictured in my Mind now and I think I will be able to do it without too much trouble.

Joke Thread or Not.... Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Back