• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ's vs. JCR rockrails

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, now that I've done my searching, I have narrowed it down to Aj's and JCR for my rockrails. Both are very popular, both have great reputations it seems like and the difference in price isnt too bad.

Aj's specs:
Maintube: 3/16th 2x2 BOXED tubing
Outer rail: 1.75 x 11 gauge DOM tubing

JCR's specs:
Maintube: 3/16th 2x3 BOXED tubing
Outer rail: Not Listed

Both rails are built with great craftsmanship. And both mount basically the same, with the exception that Jcr uses 5 pinch seem bolts and Aj's in the picture seems to only use's three, but in a different picture it looks like theres 8 pinch seem holes. ???
One other difference is that Aj's use's a 3 bolt rear mount, that consists of two "frame" mounts and one bolt that goes into the front leaf spring box.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THEM
Aj's is cheaper in price, has a better rear mount in my opinion(even though it only uses two bolts into the unibody) if indeed does have 8 pinch seem mounts, makes it considerably stronger than jcr in my opinion.

JCR's is not too much more expensive. Uses a 2x3 main tube which I like better then a 2x2 square tube. and if aj's only uses three bolts at the pinch seem, JCR uses five. And it comes with stickers which is a plus!!:clap:

It seems Aj's is the better choice, but ive never seen either of the two rails wheeled on. So im comng to the lords of naxja to chime in.
and dont tell me to go search, cuz if you cant tell. i did already.

Duces!

Re: Aj's vs. JCR rockrails

I've had JCR's on my rig for the past year or so and am very happy with them. I have come down HARD on them numerous times and so far have only placed a small dent on the outer rail once. I have used them as highlift jacking points and they work for that as well. I think I read somwhere at one point that the outer rails are .125 tubing but I am not sure. It was a toss up for me at the time but JCR had a special going and I was already ordering my bumper through them.

The main tubing for the sliders is made from 3x2x3/16" retangular tubing, both ends are tappered and fully welded. Side protection is 1.75 x.120 wall HREW tube.

Off thier website.

i belive you i do, but i cant find that. this is what i read.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]2" x 3" main tubing when many other companies use 2" x 2". Not only do we think it looks nicer than 2" x 2", it protects more under your Jeep.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I love my JCR rails!

Sometimes if you call JCR, you can get them to come down a bit on the price. They did for me, but I was also ordering bumpers. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least match AJs price.

I think I found that particular discription off the grand cherokee set. You have to wade through their site to get all the info. Either way, they aer deffinitly good stuff :)

I've got the JCR Stage IIs on my XJ and I love them. I use them to pivot around rocks and have come down hard many times on them without an issue. I think the 2x3 tubing does protect a little more on the underside when you are wheelin in rocky areas.

I'll vote for AJ, I got free shipping, and he notched 'em for my long arms.

You can't go wrong either way.

I've had JCR's on my rig for the past year or so and am very happy with them. I have come down HARD on them numerous times and so far have only placed a small dent on the outer rail once. I have used them as highlift jacking points and they work for that as well. I think I read somwhere at one point that the outer rails are .125 tubing but I am not sure. It was a toss up for me at the time but JCR had a special going and I was already ordering my bumper through them.

X2 same here. I use mine as a pivot point and have banged them on trees and stuff really hard and all it did was scratch the paint. I almost bought the AJs but changed my mind since the JCR's use the 2x3 and stick out that much more. Either one is gonna be a good rail because I have seen AJ's work and its good too.

I have both..My jeep has AJ's..I beat them hard, but the outter rail is bent in a little..I notice it, but it is hard to see..
The wifes has JCR's rails..She has beat them too, but for getting in and out she like hers better...Buy any set you like, they are BOTH great products..JCR was faster at getting them shipped..Same amount of pinch seam bolts on both

Good luck..

I have JCR Offroad super rails on one XJ and am ordering a second set for new XJ i'm building now. I have beat them senseless and I'm sold on AJ's rails.

so its a toss up. lol. im gonna have to leave this one up for debate for another day. then if its the same still. im gonna have to leave it to the trusty ol' 50 cent piece. cant beat that. haha

Both rails are built with great craftsmanship. And both mount basically the same, with the exception that Jcr uses 5 pinch seem bolts and Aj's in the picture seems to only use's three, but in a different picture it looks like theres 8 pinch seem holes. ???
One other difference is that Aj's use's a 3 bolt rear mount, that consists of two "frame" mounts and one bolt that goes into the front leaf spring box.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THEM
Aj's is cheaper in price, has a better rear mount in my opinion(even though it only uses two bolts into the unibody) if indeed does have 8 pinch seem mounts, makes it considerably stronger than jcr in my opinion.

JCR's is not too much more expensive. Uses a 2x3 main tube which I like better then a 2x2 square tube. and if aj's only uses three bolts at the pinch seem, JCR uses five. And it comes with stickers which is a plus!!:clap:

It seems Aj's is the better choice, but ive never seen either of the two rails wheeled on. So im comng to the lords of naxja to chime in.
and dont tell me to go search, cuz if you cant tell. i did already.

Duces!
My AJ rails are around 5 years old, so some things might have changed since then.

Mine have six self tappers going into the frame, and one bolt holding it onto the spring hanger. There are four bolts going into the pinch seam.

The 2x2 vs 2x3 is more of a personal preference then structural as far as Im concerned.

I drive by braille and my sliders have several dents in them. However, those are from landing on a sharp rock from two feet up with most of the weight of the Jeep. They are still around after several years, and the main body of the slider is still fine. Go with the super rails, you wont be disappointed.

(Shameless plug: Mine are for sale, fyi. PM me if you are interested.)

edit: This is one of those drops. Didnt think the rock ended as soon as it did:
072.jpg

And, boom. Freaking hard hit. Man I suck at driving.
075.jpg

My AJ rails are around 5 years old, so some things might have changed since then.

Mine have six self tappers going into the frame, and one bolt holding it onto the spring hanger. There are four bolts going into the pinch seam.

My rails are/were pre-spring hanger bolt, and still going strong. That should be a testament to longevity right there. First generation AJ rails living the dream.................:D

Last edited:
Been very happy with my AJ Super Rails! Saved my bacon more than once.

Back