• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track Bar

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have searched and I know what is going on, I put on a RE track bar, It is super tight, and I redrilled the factory mounting hole. The bar makes a rattling noise all of the time. I don't think the end is worn that mounts to the body, and the axle mount is new. I can't stand the rattling and clunking noise, so can I put my old track bar back on since I drilled the hole on the frame and redrill the axle mount else where, or now that i have drilled the frame mount am I screwed? thanks.

I assume that your using the adjustable one with the heim joint on the frame side. I dont think you can go back to the stock track bar since the frame mount has been drilled out. Check the jam nut on the adjustable part of the RE track bar. Was it new or used. If used, I'd check the heim joint itself. And tighten the piss out of eveything. I have the same one, and it took a few times of tightening to get all the clunks and pops out of it. Good luck

Are you sure it's the track bar making noise? I searched for a front end clunk forever & finally discovered it was the motor mounts, which are known for wearing out on XJs. It could also be any number of things up front.
JYD

Motor mounts are good, I checked them, I can have someone steer it, and watch the heim joint flex,( It is really tight) The RE Track bar is the only thing I changed before getting the noises. It rattles right under my feet while driving, and the steering has some slack in it now. While on the Interstate, I can feel the front axle floating left to right slightly while cornering. Everything else up front is tight and new/newer, so can I use the stock track bar or not? I doubt I can, but just want a few opinions.

Back