• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you have done this.

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Im about to drop my oil pan and clean out the oil screen. What kind of product should i use prior to doing this? Any tips? Did you see any positive gains? Why am i doing it? I dont know. It just seems fun

I had 122K miles on mine when I replaced the rear main. I had done one treatment of Seafoam in the crankcase for about 500 miles once, several months before and the screen was completely clear. I don't know if the seafoam and screen were related, but the valve cover and rockers were sure a mess before the treatment.

If it was me, I'd just replace the oil pump and pickup. Cheap insurance while you're in there.

YMMV

John

SUA SPONTE said:
Hey guys. Im about to drop my oil pan and clean out the oil screen. Why am i doing it? I dont know. It just seems fun

Are bored or are you having oil presure problems?
I can think a better ways of spending a Saturday morning.

Brake parts cleaner or Carb cleaner to get the grease off.. then once the pan is out clean the inside with the same..

mk20rockeye said:
couldn't agree with you more, plus why fix what ain't brok

Fix it TILL it's broke!!

What is your oil presser warm, idling? How many miles on your engine? Got rear main seal leak? Bad motor mounts? What about changing trany/difs fluid? Do you tow heavy or a lot
If you mileage is high and you oil P low when warm and idling you may want to do a new oil pump at the same time. This is also a good time to fix rear main seal too. Check motor mounts.
I give everything a good once over when IM under there. Very few thing just break all at once. MOST of the time there is some warning, We just don't lisen/look for them.
With all do respect you got a strange idea of fun. Now back flushing a catalytic converter, that's fun!

================================
A good bud is hard to find
Even harder to lose
WORK SAFE

Last edited:
GI-John said:
If it was me, I'd just replace the oil pump and pickup. Cheap insurance while you're in there.
Exactly - if you have to get in there, replace the replaceable parts while you're doing it. Oil pump/pickup, and the rear main seal for certain.

Yucca-Man said:
Exactly - if you have to get in there, replace the replaceable parts while you're doing it. Oil pump/pickup, and the rear main seal for certain.

And the main bearings and rear seal and spark plugs and....
Would you guys really replace the oil pump without any indication of trouble?
Is there a problem with XJ pumps failing prematurely, or you just enjoy doing it. If you just love working on Jeeps, I have three and I need somebody to do the work for me.
I'll even pay for your beer while you are working.
I'll play your favorite music.
I'll buy the parts, just because you enjoy it doesn't mean you have to pay for parts. I am a fair person.

lazyxj said:
Are bored or are you having oil presure problems?
I can think a better ways of spending a Saturday morning.
More things to do on an XJ than to pull oil pan on a running 4.0L . Try changing to synthetic oil and a larger filter to do a real flushing job. (Search for info on this stuff.)

Change the water pump or put a header in.

GI-John said:

YMMV

John

x2 you may want to inspect some of your bearings while the cover is off to look for any other problems.

Yucca-Man said:

x2, and I would also replace the rod/main bearings if the oil pressure is low and the engine's tired.
If the engine runs well, doesn't leak oil, and the oil pressure is good, you'd have to be a masochist to spend half a day lying under the Jeep removing the oil pan and getting your arms covered in oil.

Back