• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ lift

calvin

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found most of my answers, but I just wanted a quick clarification. I'm doing some research for a friend, and being unfamiliar with the MJ's, I didn't want to pass on the wrong info.
Will an XJ's front lift components work on MJ's?
As far as the rear goes, differences are spring length, shackle length, and a SUA on the MJ vs the SOA on the XJ?

Thanks for any info.

Calvin
NAXJA #365

Yes the front suspension and steering are identical MJ<-->XJ

Also correct with the differences in the rear: The MJ has longer springs with more arch, plus 5/8" (?) longer shackles than the XJ, and the axle mounts over the springs. The shocks mount to the spring clamp plates below the springs, and to the inside of the uniframe. Both shocks are mounted forward of the axle

SOA on my 89 gained approx 6" lift out back. YMMV

Hope this helps

Also, the XJ perches are farther from the center than the MJ. MJ perches are under the frame rails, and XJ perches are outboard of the frame rails. Unless I am very mistaken.

did you say just doing an SOA was good for six inches of fit? I have xj rears from a 4cyl parts Jeep. RIP. 4.10. if I put these in a Comanche I would need to lift the front about six inches? Thanks.

I got 5.5" of lift in the rear when I went SOA. Easy enough to figure out by measuring the spring pack thickness, tube thickness, and spring perch thickness. Using a taller spring perch will give more lift (probably why Woody got more lift - I kep the perches as short as I could). Since the stock springs were a little sagged, I'm at about 5" over stock in the rear. I installed the front portion of a 4.5" XJ lift which replaced the front springs, shocks and LCAs. The front kit gave me just under 5" too.

I actually swapped in XJ axles with 4.11 gears when I did the lift. So yes, the front axles and suspension are identical. As I recall, the rear perches had to by moved inboard by 1" on each side and I set the pinion at 11-deg up. I also cutoff and moved the shock mounts. Instead of leaving the shockmounts hanging so low, I moved them up to centered on the axle tube which worked well with the longer shocks that came with the XJ 4.5 liftkit.

Back