• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump life.

Jeepcreep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have had to fit 2 new fuel pumps in the space of two years, they were mid range in price, and not OEM. On taking them out they have been very rusty looking, I assume they had internal corrosion which is why they stopped working. I have now fitted a Bosch, which must be the best pump available, judging by the price. What I want to know is, if there is anything I can add to the petrol in order to prolong pump life? I seem to remember someone saying Dextron 2, I don't want to screw up my injectors or anything else, so does anyone have any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks

Have you replaced the filter yet? A clogged filter will cause a pump to fail prematurely.

Well, losing two pumps in two years, and both appearing rusted, I would pull the tank and either have it boiled at a radiator shop and coated, or replace it.

I'm not sure what you have in England currently for fuel. Here in the Colonies we have E15--15 percent ethanol added to gasoline. The ethanol pretty much removes most water from the fuel system, but it causes other issues.

You could benefit from using a gas dryer additive to keep the water out of the tank--must be those London Fogs.

Also, try and keep the tank as full as possible.

Hi,
Thanks for replies. Fuel pump filter is not clogged, I checked that and the in-line filter is fairly recent. I am beginning to suspect water in the petrol as the problem. The new Bosch pump has an aluminum outer casing (so no rust there), I just hope the internals are as good.

I am looking at ways to remove the water, Methylated spirits has been suggested, will have to find a solution as I am fed up at having to remove the tank every 12 months!!

Back