• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame sleeves - part deaux

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
H.D. Offroad Engineering, LLC is proud to announce an addition to our popular frame sleeve line up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=997041

If you are running our frame sleeves on your unibody rails, these continue from where they end (roughly at the LCA body mount) all the way to the front of the frame and include holes for the bumper holes and steering box holes.

Here's a finished install shot. Here the rosette welds have been cleaned up with a grinder to create a smooth surface for the bumper bracket.
7-6-2009.jpg

You'll notice on the above photo that the triangular bracket that the horn mounts to, has been cut. You could also cut the frame sleeve, but I noticed no reduction in fender rigidity by cutting the bracket and it made install a lot easier.

To install, I chose not to drop the axle completely, just removed tires/wheels, shocks, bumper, panhard bracket, steering box, and disconnected the brake line bracket from the frame. Grind all paint/undercoating from the area where the sleeve will go, or at least mark where the welds will be and grind there.

Position the sleeve on the frame and line up the front of the frame and all the bumper/steering box holes and pull the sleeve to the frame using c-clamps. (Sorry for the fuzzy photo)
7-3-2009001.jpg

Tack the sleeve in place and continue to move the clamps toward the rear of the vehicle pulling the sleeve to the frame tack welding and filling in the rosettes as you go.
7-3-2009007.jpg

I filled the rosettes and put approximately 1" long stitch welds around the perimeter of the sleeve. I also welded around the access pocket for the UCA bolt.

You will notice that the holes where the steering box holes are on the passenger side of the frame are not quite thru holes. The bottom layer of sheetmetal overlaps here and will need to be drilled out to use.

Also, removing the coils would have made the install much easier and is recommended, but as you can see, not mandatory.

These are on our website and available now.

FFS.jpg

While I was in there I decided to make an inner steering box brace as well to replace the wimpy aluminum spacer plate. These will be added to the site as well very soon. Stock bolts are barely long enough after adding the sleeve and should be replaced with slightly longer bolts.
7-3-2009010.jpg

Package deals will soon be available for frame sleeves and will soon include sleeves for the rear. All of our sleeves are 10 ga. (.135") including the inner steering box brace. Stay tuned...

Back