• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does the np242 use the same crossmember as the np231

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
i am swapping in a 231 in place of the stock 242,

other than spline count, is there anything i need to change?

Not sure. I know the 242 hangs down lower, so that effects tc skid plates.

Nothing you will need to change.

The transmission is what mounts to the crossmember, not the Transfercase. Transfercase won't matter. I used a t-case from an early '90's XJ with 231 to replace my dented crossmember on my '99 with 242.

I am currently replacing my shift gate, as the one in the jeep was for a 231, and doesn't allow for the positions of a 242. could be an isolated incident though. just trying to get it all to work...

On a slightly unrelated note, Due to manufacturing differences my 242 actually sits high enough to use a 231 transfercase. But to answer the question, the cross members are the same

i maybe wrong but i understand the crossmember from a 5spd will also be a straight swap? This i believe will drop your t/c half inch or so? This may or may not be the case, but i remember reading something about this.

Last edited:
Back