• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ discs on XJ D44 - regarding Rubi retainers, finishing touches

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I've already done quite a bit of searching.

I have a 98 XJ, and I already performed the complete ZJ disc brake swap on my Chryco 8.25 a few years back, complete with longer e-brake cables and a ZJ proportioning valve. I'm throwing a Dana44 (from what I believe was an 87 XJ) under the rig next week, and am wanting to swap the ZJ hardware over to the D44.

I've already gotten the Rubicon retainers for the axle shafts, and I am well aware that the bolt patterns are different on the retainers/disc brackets and the D44 axle flanges. My plan is to weld up the holes on the axle flanges, then drill new holes using the retainer as a template.

The reason for my post is that I wish to make sure this isn't anything else I'm missing regarding the swap. I'd hate to be 80% through the conversion and find out I have to drill something or bore something out or whatever. Thanks.

SyCo said:
Yes, I've already done quite a bit of searching.

I have a 98 XJ, and I already performed the complete ZJ disc brake swap on my Chryco 8.25 a few years back, complete with longer e-brake cables and a ZJ proportioning valve. I'm throwing a Dana44 (from what I believe was an 87 XJ) under the rig next week, and am wanting to swap the ZJ hardware over to the D44.

I've already gotten the Rubicon retainers for the axle shafts, and I am well aware that the bolt patterns are different on the retainers/disc brackets and the D44 axle flanges. My plan is to weld up the holes on the axle flanges, then drill new holes using the retainer as a template.

The reason for my post is that I wish to make sure this isn't anything else I'm missing regarding the swap. I'd hate to be 80% through the conversion and find out I have to drill something or bore something out or whatever. Thanks.

It was done both ways: weld up the holes in the plate or the axle flange. I did the former as it was faster and simpler.

Anyways IIRC you only weld up 2 holes as two already fit.

Also I'm not sure how the ZJ backing plates fit, but when I bolted the CrownVic backing plate I had to grind off a part of the flange (imagine the flange shape looks like a house: I had to level the roof flat a bit).

I'd rather do the flange because I already have the Rubicon retainers, and don't have the time or resources to go the spacer route. Thanks for the tip about the two holes lining up, I'll definitely check that out before handing the axle over to my welder friend.

SyCo said:
I'd rather do the flange because I already have the Rubicon retainers, and don't have the time or resources to go the spacer route. Thanks for the tip about the two holes lining up, I'll definitely check that out before handing the axle over to my welder friend.
That's what I meant: I drilled holes in the retainers. It took no time at all. Also my retainers are removeable (I cut them open to a U shape and now I can slide them over any axle shaft).

Kejtar said:
That's what I meant: I drilled holes in the retainers. It took no time at all. Also my retainers are removeable (I cut them open to a U shape and now I can slide them over any axle shaft).
i did the exact same thing for my crown vic discs on the rear 44 i got as well.
i didn't bother welding the old holes closed. that rubicon retainer is thick and quite rigid as is.

dragging up an old post, but I did this a while back and heard from someone to use the rubi backing plates (no need for spacers) well one side has a small leak...! Would you think the seal just didn't sit well? or can you over tighten the backingplates on? or am i missing something....I just wanted to toss this out here to see what others could think of before I go crazy trying to fix it.... Thanks all.

OH...FYI this is the GC-ZJ rear disc's ...if that matters...

cheers!

Back