• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to change front seals...few questions

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well my front axle seals are bad and I'm thinking about changing them tomorrow. I just have a few questions since I've never pulled the carrier in the front HP30.

I have 4.88's and an aussie in the front, when I pull the carrier will the shims fall out?
I know you have to pry the carrier out sometimes and I don't know how to re-set the gears.

Also what is the torque spec on the bearing caps?

Thanks in advance!

The shims are between the bearings and carrier and will not fall out. The bearing races will fall out but that's not a problem. Use two prybars and pry from top and bottom at the same time and it should come out fairly easily. You won't need to reset the gears. Use a piece of 3/8 threaded rod with some fender washers and nuts to push the new seals in from the inside. You will need either two pieces of pipe slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the seals or large sockets. Push the new seals in being careful that they are mostly square to the seal recess. The cone shaped extension faces outboard. When you put the carrier back in make sure the bearing races are well seated on the bearings and you can use a heavy rubber mallet or plastic dead blow hammer to tap it back into place. the torque for the bearing caps is 50 foot pounds. Good luck.

Thanks! I read a few of those write ups on this but I never really seen them comment much on the shims falling out.

I'll see if I can find the seals somewhere then I'll tear into the jeep.

Back