• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust wrap insulation wrap

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Any one here ever tired it. Liked it, disliked?

BTW, have you considered a thermal barrier coating?

Last edited:
Neat. With that much of a reduction, and with your other upgrades, you might be able to convert the a/c into an ice maker! LOL!

Neat. With that much of a reduction, and with your other upgrades, you might be able to convert the a/c into an ice maker! LOL!

That was cold!

:laugh3:

My brother use to tell me twice nothing is still nothing.:D

I've used header wrap before, but wouldn't recommend it on a street vehicle. It does tend to collect moisture when splashed (you wouldn't think so, since it's so hot...) and can cause the heater primaries to rot out over time.

I mainly used it on strip cars, and it was done more to keep header temperatures up than to keep underhood temperatures down, thus preserving exhaust pulse speed and improving cylinder scavenging, and thereby increasing VE by a couple of percentage points. You look for every advantage you can get when there's a time factor...

I've used header wrap before, but wouldn't recommend it on a street vehicle. It does tend to collect moisture when splashed (you wouldn't think so, since it's so hot...) and can cause the heater primaries to rot out over time.

I mainly used it on strip cars, and it was done more to keep header temperatures up than to keep underhood temperatures down, thus preserving exhaust pulse speed and improving cylinder scavenging, and thereby increasing VE by a couple of percentage points. You look for every advantage you can get when there's a time factor...

That must be part of the reason they are pushing a spray on top coat, to water proof it. One that I looked at in the store today, was a wet silcate soaked wrap that cures in place on the pipe making it water proof I guess?

I looked at several online, and some seem to have the built in cure coating, others do not. Another option I see is an aluminized blanket for just the upper area of the E-manifold.

Perhaps the ceramic coatings have an anti rust advantage.

Dow Cornings Foam Glass (TM) would solve that problem. It is acid and caustic, and water proof. Used in chemical plants for pipe insulation. It is closed cell, non-porous, and you cut it (seam) and cement it in place with high heat ceramic cement.:D

I wrapped the exhaust on both my Cherokees when I installed the Borla headers. I wanted to get as much of the heat as possible out the back. I pull a 15' camping trailer and encounter some long steep grades; 15-20 minutes of 55 mph in second gear. The wrapping worked great. At first I only wrapped the header, which extends back to the cat flange. First trip that way, the (stock) muffler got so hot the carpets started to smoke in the back seat. I changed the stock muffler to a "cherry bomb" type straight thru muffler and wrapped it. I had also had problems with the plastic 4wd control tubing melting and the gas tank overheating. Wrapping the pipe all the way back took care of that. I haven't had any problems with rust or anything like that. Of course the Borla header is stainless...

What if you have plated headers? I have some chrome plated headers that will need to be wrapped.

I'm gonna try to put some on my header in the next few days. Blasted Banks header cracked after 18 months. I'm gonna try to wrap around the cracks to keep the noise down, I need to get it through inspection. After that, I'll get a replacement header under warranty and replace it when I get a lot of free time.

What if you have plated headers? I have some chrome plated headers that will need to be wrapped.

I'd think it a bit less likely - but chrome is good for retaining heat as it is. That's why I don't like using it for engine parts or differential covers - it retains heat, rather than helping it dissipate.

Also, this was on headers made 20 years ago, so I'm reasonably sure SotA has changed since then. CRES would depend on what alloy was used (some are more "stainless" than others,) plain steels would want to be sealed. I don't remember using it on chrome, so I honestly can't say.

Back